Thursday, April 10, 2014

Less than four hours advance notice!

It is after midnight and I just got back to my humble little hotel room.  The strangest thing happened here in this city.  A very fine pastor here had scheduled me for tonight, Thursday (like many it was not a regular service night.)  And for the first time in over 20 years of ministry both he and his wife had forgotten all about announcing a special meeting with a visiting minister.  Now it just could not happen.   

At 5 PM we chatted over a sandwich in his kitchen.  Suddenly he said to his wife, “Why don’t we call together just the lay workers in the church for Ralph to speak to?”  He asked if I was game and I said even if there were only 4 or 5 I would be thrilled to share with them.  He made only 4 phone calls reaching his 4 top volunteer leaders, who are leaders of other leaders… to inform them all using phone, Facebook and Twitter to meet at the church in less than 4 hours.  I was astonished to see 50 adult leaders there with hungry hearts! 

I wasn’t well prepared and took a text and forthwith wandered all over the place trying to tie my comments into something coherent.  The response was outstanding.  God was obviously present. 

Some had already left when I remembered I had brought my camera and yelled to stop some that were already going out the front door.  They got on the platform steps for this picture.  After everyone had hugged my neck and most had gone home I was driving out of the parking lot.  A tall young man in his 20s tapped on my window.  I opened the door.  He squeezed my hand and was hardly able to speak through the tears as he told me how much his heart had been touched! 

Isn’t God good?  Tomorrow, Friday I have another service in this same city, but in a different AG church.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment