Friday, April 18, 2014

Highway Blocked

Yesterday I set out from the city of Realicó en province of La Pampa to reach the city of Río Cuarto en la province of Cordoba.  It should have been only about two hours of driving.  I was only 12 miles from my destination when I saw a huge billow of black smoke rise into the sky on the horizon ahead of me.   I feared a tragic scene might be ahead with a serious accident.  All traffic was stopped and two fire trucks were at the scene.  A double decker modern, inter-city bus was in flames.  

Cars and trucks were backed up and parked everywhere.  I spoke with some of the bus passengers that were standing around.  The bus driver had parked alongside the road and ordered everyone off the bus.  Then he attempted to open the compartments below where the luggage was stored, but they were stuck and could not be opened. 

Everyone stood at least a block away and watched all their personal belongings, computers, clothing, personal documents, everything go up in smoke.  Even as the firemen poured water on the fire there were several loud explosions, perhaps as tires exploded. I took a few pictures and talked with a few people.  All were thankful that there was no loss of life.  All traffic was blocked.  

I waited for about 30 minutes and consulted with a fireman about when the highway might be opened again.  He answered “At least 45 minutes more, perhaps much more.”  I decided to return to the only alternate route… back-tracking about 30 miles and going 100 miles out of my way… but assuring me to be at my hotel in time for a rest and to be ready for the night’s service. 

And what a blessed service it was!  I have been ministering in churches packed to the doors in small towns every night.  

God is good!

Ralph 

Following is a copy of my today’s SOAP devotional journal. 

S= Scripture 
O= Observation 
A= Application 
P= Prayer  

Do not feel obligated to read it.  I just tossed it in for anyone who might be interested.     

                                   Holy Poverty

S.  Ps 34:6  This poor man cried and the LORD heard him, And saved him out of all his troubles.  King David

Matt 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”  Jesus

O.  David recognized his great need that could only be satisfied with riches that the Lord God could supply.  He saw himself as a poor man.  Perhaps he was rich in worldly wealth, but his need for an intimate relationship with his God made his riches seem as nothing.  His was a poverty of the soul… a yearning for closeness to His God.  Jesus declares that those who have this “poverty of spirit” will become heirs of the kingdom of heaven. 

A.  My danger is that I become self sufficient, satisfied with the blessings of the past… living on yesterday’s manna… or confident in my self-imposed morality or generosity… as though I deserved a close relationship with my Maker.

P.  Oh wonderful, merciful Savior and God: I cry out to you in my poverty.  I often walk among the poor and needy here in Argentina.  You have made me rich in worldly wealth which I never expected. You have blessed me with good health beyond the normal.  Yet my heart bends low before Your throne and in deep poverty of spirit I cry out to You, my Lord and my God.  Restore to me day by day the intimacy with You that makes my soul sing.  Once again my spirit needs to bubble up with the freshness of Your love and mercy.  May I never become complacent or satisfied with yesterday’s experience!  Prepare my heart.  Cleanse me.  It is You that makes me holy, forgiven of all confessed sin of thought or action.  Now, cleansed by your shed blood, once more, usher me into Your holy place to sit down in peace with You, my Maker, my King, my Savior and the Lover of my soul… to bask in the glory of Your presence.  Amen.


1 comment:

  1. "Restore to me day by day the intimacy with You that makes my soul sing." Su oración me bendijo profundamente. Gracias. :)
    HAVE FUN IN YOUR TRIP !!

    ReplyDelete