Thursday, February 19, 2015

From the Least to the Greatest

My Personal Devotional Journal: Thursday 2-19-15 (Home) 

Scripture reading:  Num 5-6    Ps 22     Acts 26

S.  Acts 26:21-23 Some Jews arrested me in the Temple for preaching this, and they tried to kill me.  But God protected me so that I am still alive today to tell these facts to everyone, from the least to the greatest. I teach nothing except what the prophets and Moses said would happen — that the Messiah would suffer and be the first to rise from the dead as a light to Jews and Gentiles alike." NLT

O.  Paul asserts that he preaches the same message to everyone, from the least to the greatest… and to Jews and Gentiles alike.  He was a this very moment preaching a powerful Gospel message to some of the “greatest” among the Gentiles, King Agrippa, his sister Bernice and Governor Festus, but he would be just as quick to preach to a lady alongside a river in Philippi or a lame beggar in Lystra.
 
A.  I thank God that Paul’s and our message is Good News for “whosoever will”!  It is not reserved for the elite, the educated or for the poverty stricken and the ignorant.  Some have questioned me, “I thought Argentina was a land of civilized people.  Why do you go as a missionary to them?”  Their concept of missions was limited to the civilizing of head-hunters in some jungle.  Yes, those kind need Jesus, but so do you and I.  I have known ambassadors from three different continents who have received Christ and are powerful, Holy Spirit filled believers. 

A lovely, wealthy family in Argentina was throwing a special party for Frances and me and we were told to invite our friends.  So they came, some on a crowded public bus, some on foot and some with taxis.  Some, dressed in their best blue jeans revealing their poverty level.  One couple arrived in a black Mercedes Benz with a chauffeur.  They stepped out of the vehicle and rang the bell at the gate, outside the wall.  “Who is there?” came the voice over the speaker.  “The Ambassador of Malaysia.”  Our hosts thought it was a joke.  “Yeah, sure… here comes the Ambassador of Malaysia,” they laughed among themselves… until they looked out the upstairs window and saw the Mercedes.

Frances and I have been honored beyond measure with friends of both low and high estate.  That little ragged, barefoot girl running down the street is of equal importance to my Savior as King Agrippa, Bernice and Festus all put together.

P.  Oh Lord, who am I to be allowed entrance at Your gate?  I was just a naughty little boy that wept tears of repentance at the door of your great kingdom.  And Your compassionate heart opened wide the gate.  You lifted me in Your arms.  You welcomed me to the party.  You set a little unworthy child at Your table beside ambassadors and kings.  May I never forget where You found me!  And may I spend my days seeking the lost from the least to the greatest!  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment