Thursday, February 26, 2015

Press through… today!

Thursday 2-26-15 (Home) 

Scripture reading: Num 19-20  Ps 28  Mark 5

S.  Mark 5:28-34  Then the frightened woman, trembling at the realization of what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and told him what she had done.  And he said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. You have been healed." NLT

O.  This lady didn’t want to make a scene.  The Mosaic Law had categorized her condition as “unclean.” She was not supposed to be in contact with other people.  But she was weak and anemic.  She had carried this disease for 12 years.  She was sick of being sick.  The medical field of her day could not help her.  They had taken all her money and only made her worse.  This lady did not want to stop the parade.  She was just desperate for her healing.  Nobody will ever know.  It will be kept a secret between her and God.  “Here He comes.  Oh God, just let me touch his clothing!”  The crowd pushes her back.  She sees the form of Jesus escaping ahead in the crowd and lunges forward.  “There!  Oh!  I touched it!”  And something happened inside her. 

But Jesus blew her cover.  Why would he embarrass this poor lady? 

Well, for one thing, we would never have heard of this lady if He had not pointed her out.  The very next chapter in Mark 6:56 we are told: “The sick begged him to let them at least touch the fringe of his robe, and all who touched it were healed.” We have never heard their individual stories of miraculous healings.  Jesus pointed her out, because there was value in her confession, for her and for others… like us.

A.  Our testimony is a part of our commitment.  Salvation comes by “confessing Jesus as our Lord with our mouth and believing in our heart that God raised Him from the dead.”  (Romans 10:9-10)  Many would prefer to keep their spiritual blessings a secret.  “I keep my religion to myself,” they say.  But Jesus pulled this lady out into plain view and upon her confession, He confirms her miracle with, “Go your way.  Your faith has saved you!”

If I had been Jairus, right now… I would have been getting nervous.  I would have been saying, “Jesus, please hurry!  You can come back later and heal this lady.  But my daughter is dying right now!  Come on!” 

P.  Lord, how long has it been since I pressed through my crowded world to reach out to touch the hem of your garment?  A dozen things struggle for a part of my schedule.  Some seem to be time sensitive.  It’s either now or never.  My schedule can so easily crowd You out.  Open my eyes to see, like this desperate lady, that my contact with You is a matter of life and death.  I must press through and touch You… today!  And as virtue flows from heaven to earth, both You and I will know… by faith I have touched the hem of Your garment. 

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment