Thursday, February 12, 2015

I trust in Your unfailing love

Thursday 2-12-15 (Home)  

Scripture reading:        Lev 18-19      Ps 13        Acts 19

S.  Ps 13:5-6  But I trust in your unfailing love.  I will rejoice because you have rescued me.  I will sing to the LORD because he has been so good to me.  NLT   

O.  Not all of David’s psalms were filled with joy.  This song begins by pleading with God to come to his rescue.   He cries out, “How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day?  How long will my enemy have the upper hand?” Obviously there are events taking place that make David feel that God has abandoned him.  He sees no visible signs of winning this battle, whatever it was.  But he has a secret weapon called “trust”.  He can look back in his life where God expressed His faithfulness and love and rescued him.  He chooses to conclude his song with an expression of God’s goodness.

A.  Have I ever been there?  Has the door been slammed in my face?  Have my prayers seemed to bounce back upon me?  Have I cried out to God with “How long?”, “Why?” and “When?”  Probably most of us have been where David was.  We may seem surrounded by failure and hopelessness.  Then David recalls earlier times when God has rescued him and he “chooses to trust” in God’s unfailing love.   Now he can sing of victory even if the evidence is still out of sight.  “Trust” brings security, blessed hope and, yes, gives us joy that prompts a song in our hearts.

P.  Father, none of my grievances have gone unheard by Your attentive ear.  Help me to recall the many times You have intervened and rescued me.  Help me to lean upon your faithfulness and simply “trust” in You one more time.  And since I “trust” that You will not fail me this time either, I can sing with joy in my heart.  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment