Thursday, February 12, 2015

They are out there!


My Personal Devotional  Wednesday 2-11-15 (Home)   

Scripture reading:        Lev 15-17            Acts 18

S.  Acts 18:9-10 “Don't be afraid! Speak out! Don't be silent!  For I am with you, and no one will harm you because many people here in this city belong to me." NLT

O.  Paul had seen rejection of Christ’s message by many of the Jews in Corinth so he moved in with a Gentile man, Titius Justus.  All his efforts seemed to be falling apart.  Then the Lord appeared to him in a vision and assured him of victory.  “No enemy will do you harm, Paul, because I have many people here in this city that belong to me.” 

I am reminded of Elijah when Jezebel promised to kill him.  He fled into the wilderness, and crashed in a heap under the shade of a juniper tree.  Depressed, he mumbled to God that he was the only true believer left in the whole world.  Then God spoke to him, “Hey, Elijah boy, wake up!  You’re not alone.  I’ve still got 7,000 faithfuls out there that haven’t bowed to Baal.” 

But who were these many people in Corinth that belonged to God?  Were they already believers in Jesus?  Apparently most had never yet heard the message of Christ’s Gospel.  Yet each one was precious to God.  He knew their hungry hearts.  He also knew that Paul had itchy feet, so He was telling His servant to stay put for a while.

A.  What drives a pastor or a missionary into a new area, a small village or a large city?  It is that quiet voice of the Holy Spirit saying, “Go for it, my son… my daughter!  I’ve got hundreds of spiritually hungry people in this place.  Go in there and find them.  And stay long enough to disciple them.”  

But how do I locate these tender hearts?  My personal experience in the ghetto area of La Boca was to preach on a rented open parking lot every night of the week, and on the street corners and in the parks every afternoon.  Others may discover even more effective methods.  

I still pray, Lord, how do I find them?  I know they are out there.  I know no other way than to sow the seed and let it fall, some on solid pavement to be stomped upon by heavy boots, some on shallow soil or rocky ground destined to sprout and wither, some among thorn bushes to be choked by family pressures.  Ah, but some seeds will find fertile soil! 

P. Precious Lord, You love them all, not just certain ones that You have marked as Yours.  Your message is still for “whosoever.” Every little barefoot child running down that sidewalk, every youth hidden in some alley smoking pot, every elderly woman sitting on the doorstep staring at nothing… they are all potentially “Yours”.  You want them all to hear and to have an equal chance.  And as we remain faithful to sow the seed, in due time You will reveal to us those who belong to You.  Remind us again, Lord… “They are out there!”  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment