Wednesday, March 9, 2016

May I be a true fan of the Lord Jesus!

Wednesday 3-9-16 (La Lucila, Buenos Aires)     

Scripture reading for today:  Deut 10 - 12   Mark 16

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Deut 11:18-21  Therefore you shall lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.  You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.  And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land of which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, like the days of the heavens above the earth.  NKJV


O.  When are the Israelites instructed to discuss religious things?  When they rise in the morning, when they sit in their house, when they walk by the way.  They are to place God’s words on their door posts and gates and to bind them on their hands and before their eyes.


A. Last weekend there was a classic Boca vs River soccer game, the two most famous rivals in Argentina.  It ended up a tie with no goals.  The next day I was having breakfast in the hotel restaurant and overheard a group of men discussing the game with great religious emphasis.  Two days later I was walking down the street and other men were still discussing the game with gestures and enthusiasm.  I noticed on TV the game was still the subject of those “talking heads” that ramble on for hours about nothing.  I thought to myself, “These men are very religious.  They are not ashamed of their idols even when they fail to make goals.”  And I felt ashamed down in my heart that I often do not discuss my Jesus, His qualities and accomplishments in public... with the same enthusiasm as these men.


P.  Lord, I remember when I was a child we had beautiful scripture plaques on almost every wall.  One was beside my bed.  I awoke each morning to its silver colored letters saying, “The Eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.” (Deut 33:27) We were reminded of Your faithfulness at the table as we discussed the events of the day. Your love and Your message was a part of our daily conversation.  Lord, You warned us about allowing other gods to usurp Your priority in our lives.  Come, Lord Jesus, become again the subject of my conversation to reveal Your place of superiority in my ordinary daily life.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment