Sunday, April 17, 2011

Preaching in The Feathers

Special thanks to Heidi for the tempting apple pie recipe. Martin told me that Charlotte will try it as soon as she gets a chance. Unfortunately I leave here to minister in Cordoba early Monday morning and probably won’t get the opportunity to taste it.



I had a delightful surprise when I arrived at the Patagonian Bible Institute earlier this week. My long time friends, Jerry and Vickie Brown are teaching here for two months. (Photo) They were missionaries sent from our Northern California Nevada home district to Ecuador and now are teaching courses in Bible Institutes throughout Latin America. Last night at dinner we enjoyed a great time sharing church-planting stories until long after bedtime.

Tonight, Saturday, I arrived back at the Patagonian Bible Institute at 11:30 PM after preaching in “The Feathers” (Las Plumas, Argentina). Historians say the town’s name comes from the practice of the indigenous population trading feathers and wild guanaco meat with the early Welsh settlers for bread and butter. I assume that the feathers were those of the abundant rheas that roam this high desert. The rhea looks just like an ostrich, but is smaller, standing only about 5 feet tall. I often see them alongside the road and always dodge widely in case one should step out in front of me. The last thing I need is a car decorated with feathers!

12 years ago Pastor Jim Heden’s church in Richmond, California provided the funds to build this little church in Las Plumas. I drew up the simple plans. Argentine Christian brothers from Trelew drove the 200 kilometers many times pulling a trailer full of bricks and other materials to build it. Most of the money was from a Memorial Fund of Richmond’s former pastor Harold Steward. The black marble corner stone displays in Spanish the following text: “This Temple is dedicated to the Memory of Rev. Harold F. Steward of Richmond, California USA and to the God of love that he served, April 11, 1999.” Check out the home-made wood stove. (Photo) It’s amazing what you can do with a retired washing machine! It sets right up front near the pulpit. And believe me we needed that heat! 30 minutes before church time, while the sun was just setting, we shot a picture of the group that had arrived early. (Photo) As always the kids enjoyed petting my little skunk puppet, Perfume, and hearing Felipe’s Bible story.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment