Thursday, September 15, 2011

500 Smiling Faces

Up at 5:10 AM: A shower, a time with Jesus and His Word. No time for breakfast.

7:20 AM: Arrived at William Morris Christian School in downtown Cordoba to set up my little sound system even though they told me that it wasn’t necessary, since they have their own system. In Argentina I’ve learned to have a backup when possible.

7:45 AM: Enjoyed the privilege of leading a brief devotional time with the dedicated teaching staff of this great Christian school.
8:00 AM: 500 children gathered, packed into the open patio. They sang a song as they raised the Argentine flag. As they were introducing me their sound system sputtered and quit. No problem; I invited them to my microphone, powered by my little Roland amp running on AA batteries. The sound was loud and clear.
500 faces lit up with delight as Perfume, the skunk, wiggled out of Felipe’s suitcase and showed her face. 500 smiling faces charged the atmosphere with laughter as Felipe did his thing with a Bible story and a conclusion. Then I got serious and prayed for them and the staff before they were dismissed to their classrooms.

8:45 AM: I was requested to do another devotional time for some “special teachers” that arrive later. Small group. Good time!

12:45 PM: Drove across town to the Mediterranean Bible Institute for lunch with the students and Missionary Steve Wallace, Bible School Director. Steve invited me to share with his first year Missions class. How inspiring to participate in the lives of future missionaries and ministers!

8:00 PM: Enjoyed event number 5 for the day, ministering at Iglesia Betel, pastored by Santiago and Lidia Zapata, dear friends since 1966. After church they took me out to dinner. We finished after midnight.

2:00 AM Thursday: Off to bed thinking on the goodness of our God. He rescued the meeting with 500 energetic kids by having my backup sound system ready to go. AND miracle of miracle, my voice held up well for all 5 events! Leave it to Jesus! He’ll come through for you!

Ralph