Monday, February 20, 2017

Governor Felix was a wimp.

Friday 2-17-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Num 1 – 2 and Acts 24
S = Scripture,  O = Observation,  A = Application,  P = Prayer,  SOAP for the soul.


S. Acts 24:22-25 Felix, who was quite familiar with the Way, adjourned the hearing and said, "Wait until Lysias, the garrison commander, arrives. Then I will decide the case." He ordered an officer to keep Paul in custody but to give him some freedom and allow his friends to visit him and take care of his needs. A few days later Felix came with his wife, Drusilla, who was Jewish. Sending for Paul, they listened as he told them about faith in Christ Jesus. As he reasoned with them about righteousness and self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was terrified. "Go away for now," he replied. "When it is more convenient, I'll call for you again." NLT

O. Governor Felix was a “put it off till another day” kind of leader.  Did he ever call for the garrison commander, Lysias? Apparently not. He was just biding his time until he could pass the decision concerning Paul to his successor… two years later. Felix was a “wimp.” He called for Paul, but not to free him. He was seeking a bribe. And he wanted his Jewish wife, Drusilla to hear this remarkable man. But things got hot as Paul struck close to his sin with a call to right judgment, self-control and the coming day, when he (Felix) would be judged. He stopped Paul’s sermon at the altar call with, “When it is more convenient, I’ll call for you again.”

A. I’ve called myself a “wimp”, too, for I am slow to make important decisions. When the conversation is hot, with emotions running high, I have called for time to think it over alone. I need time alone with the Lord at my side. Even so, sometimes I make errors and the Lord has had to come to my rescue… which, by the way, He always does.

P. Dear Lord, where would I be without You? Certainly, I would have made wrong decisions that would have destroyed my usefulness and happiness. I am again reminded that without You, I can do nothing right. As I return to Argentina in a few weeks there will be many decisions to make. I always feel like a little boy trying to do a man’s job. I pray for Your divine wisdom. I depend upon You. And help me not to put off for tomorrow what I should do today. Amen.

Ralph





No comments:

Post a Comment