Monday, February 20, 2017

Officer Alexander is puzzled

Thursday 2-16-17, Modesto, California
Today we read Lev 26 – 27 and Acts 23
S = Scripture,  O = Observation,  A = Application,  P = Prayer,  SOAP for the soul.


S. Acts 23:10-11 Finally, the commander, fearing they would tear him apart, ordered his soldiers to take him away from them and bring him back to the fortress. That night the Lord appeared to Paul and said, "Be encouraged, Paul. Just as you have told the people about me here in Jerusalem, you must preach the Good News in Rome." NLT

O. My name is Alexander. I am a Roman military commander. I have been made responsible to take Paul to a Jewish religious court. I do not understand the Aramaic language and much less Jewish religious traditions. The court room is crowded and noisy. Suddenly there is silence as the Jewish High Priest takes his seat as judge. Paul is standing with hands chained behind his back. He is finally allowed to speak. He barely gets out a single sentence and I hear the “judge” bark out a command and the men standing nearest Paul smash him with a blow to the mouth. I find this amusing. But within two minutes the screaming begins. Some who are dressed in the obvious habit of the Pharisees now seem to be defending Paul. Others religious men are yelling something. Some grab Paul from one side are trying to pull him from the mob that is wanting to kill him. They are going to pull him apart. I am forced to intervene. I order my soldiers to drag him out of their reach and back to the fortress. The whole thing only lasted five minutes. I muse to myself, “These Jews make no sense.”  Paul is a little beat up, but cheerful as he is ushered into his prison cell.
The next morning I casually pass by his cell. He greets me, “Good morning, Officer Alexander, I hear it’s a beautiful day out there.” “What’s up with this guy? He’s smiling like he knows something!”

A. Paul has just heard fresh news from a higher power than Caesar. Yeah! In God’s timing, he will be given the privilege of preaching in Rome. He knows something Officer Alexander doesn’t know. I find that my spirit picks up as I am looking forward to something good, like another opportunity to preach. This coming Sunday it will be with the children of Modesto Neighborhood church. That fills me with joy. Then the following week I am scheduled to preach in an exciting Spanish speaking church, in San Francisco. That puts a smile on my face.

P. Lord Jesus, I find great joy as I look forward to coming ministry opportunities. Just the anticipation brings happiness. In a few weeks I will be back in Argentina with unlimited ministry possibilities. Help me to carry your joy and blessing wherever You send me. You do not send me alone. You have promised to go with me even to the ends of the earth. Amen.

Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment