Thursday, January 22, 2015

Come to the Fountain

My Personal Devotional Journal… Wednesday 12-31-14 (My 83rd birthday) (At home in Modesto)
Scripture Reading: Revelation chapters 19-22

S.  Rev 22:17  The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." Let each one who hears them say, "Come." Let the thirsty ones come — anyone who wants to. Let them come and drink the water of life without charge.  NLT

O.  Immediately three portions of scripture come to mind as I read this closing invitation of Holy Writ.  The Psalmist writes in Ps 42:1-2 “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.  When can I go and meet with God?” NIV  Isaiah writes, Isa. 55:1  “Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.” KJV  And Jesus speaking to the Samaritan woman at the well just outside the village of Sychar John 4:10 "If you only knew the gift God has for you and who I am, you would ask me, and I would give you living water." NLT

A.  I do not pretend to understand all the detailed prophecies of John’s Revelation.  Perhaps we will only have full understanding when these things have been… or are being… fulfilled before our eyes.  But I am thrilled that this book, filled with threatening terrors and glorious praises, which has been placed at the end of the Sacred Compilation of divinely inspired books, closes its final words with an open invitation to the reader.  Come on in.  The door is open.  The living water awaits to quench your thirsty soul. 

P.  Lord Jesus, even as I read this, I realize that this invitation is not only for the lost and sin cursed souls that are dying of spiritual thirst out there.  It is for me, too.  I need a fresh drink of that water of life.  I cannot survive without it.  Jesus, You are calling to me.  Your arms are spread wide to receive me.  You are the Source of my living water.  And You are calling to me this morning.  I hear your kind warning, “Don’t get so wrapped up in your daily situations that you fail to drink at my fountain of life.  I am waiting for you.  Come.  Come on in.  Are you not one of the thirsty ones?… then come — anyone who wants to… can come and fall into my waiting arms.  Just come and I will let you drink again at the fountain of the water of life without charge.”  Lord, it seems too good to be true, but I will not wait another moment.  Right now I am running in through that open door and into Your waiting arms!


No comments:

Post a Comment