Thursday, January 22, 2015

Forgiven

Tuesday 1-13-15 (Home)     Gen 31-33       Luke 13

S.  Gen 33:4 Then Esau ran to meet him and embraced him affectionately and kissed him. Both of them were in tears. NLT

O.  Jacob had cheated his twin brother, Esau, and had fled for his life since Esau was plotting to kill him.  Now many years later Jacob is returning home fearing that Esau will not only kill him, but his two wives, and his children as well.  When he hears that Esau is coming to meet him with 400 armed men.  Jacob is terrified.  But he was very shrewd and sent gifts for Esau of sheep and goats and camels ahead of him, hoping to break Esau’s anger. 

That night Jacob, left alone before crossing the river, had an unexpected visitor… a “Man”.  They wrestled all night long in the darkness.  Somehow Jacob realized that he was struggling with God Himself… and finally as it was dawning he cried out, “I will not let You go until You bless me!”  Jacob left that place a different man.  Not only did God change his name from Jacob (a deceiver) to Israel (one who struggles with God), but God pulled Jacob’s hip out of joint and left him limping heavily probably for the rest of his life.  The new Jacob, from then on called Israel, went on to meet Esau.  Esau ran to meet his limping brother.  They embraced and tears of repentance and forgiveness flowed.

A.  Frances and I, on a brief visit from Argentina, had just driven 700 miles from California to see her mother and other relatives.  A heart-breaking shock awaited us when we returned to her old home.  We approached the familiar backdoor where Frances had grown up expecting a warm welcome.  We knocked.  Her step father, who had always received us kindly, opened the door.  “What do you want?” he demanded angrily.  We stammered out, “We have come home to see you.”  “Well, now you have seen me, good-bye!” And he slammed the door in our face. 

We turned away in total shock without Frances being able to see her mother who was inside.  As we drove away we were both in tears.  Neither of us had any idea what had come between us.

Frances’ father had passed away when she was 12 years old.  There were 8 children to feed and her mother was working long hours in the shipyards to support them.  She met and married a man that had a solid job and could pay off the debt on the house and support the family.  He had suffered a very harsh child-hood and run away to a cruel world to make his own way as a youth.  He was not a drinker.  He had many good qualities.  However, perhaps due to his harsh treatment as a child and to his battle to survive as a runaway youth, he often treated his step children harshly.  But that had been left behind many years before and we had always gotten along with him well. 

Through other relatives we found out what apparently was troubling him.  I had offended him several years earlier when I had asked him to drive my car chauffeuring my son’s bride to their wedding atop Mount Tabor.  I had thought that he would be honored to do so.  But he refused… and then refused to come to the wedding even though he practically worshiped Ron’s bride, Elisabet.  

Now, several years later, I was told that he had been deeply offended that I had been the one to ask him to drive her, instead of my son, Ron, or Elisabet, the bride herself.  Apparently he felt that I had breached protocol, taking my son’s place in asking him.  This was probably true, but I had done so ignorantly and had no idea that I had offended him.

We returned to Argentina heart-broken that Frances had not been allowed to see her mother.  Together we prayed about it and determined to win her father-in-law back.  We purchased a birthday gift in Argentina and sent it to him.  We sought every opportunity to send him a nice card, a note or a gift.  And we prayed for him. 

Years later on our next furlough we approached the back door of the house with fear.  But this time Frances’ mother opened the door and her step-father came and greeted us warmly.  He seemed to be a changed man.  From that date forward he was always very kind to us and our family.  Frances’ mother passed away first, but until her step-father’s death, whenever we told him how much we loved him, he would reply that he didn’t deserve it. 

Well, who of us deserves to be loved?  Not me!  “God shows His great love for us in that while we were still sinners in rebellion against Him, He sent His Only Son to die for us at Calvary.” Romans 5:8

P.  God, you loved us when we were unlovely sinners.  And your love was so great that you gave Your Only Son for us.  I am sure that when You are blasphemed and shunned by those that You love so much… Your tender heart has been broken again and again.  Centuries ago Jacob sent gifts ahead of him to soften the anger of his brother.  God, I have no gift to send ahead of me to soften the anger I deserve.  All that I can offer You is my love.  So today I fall before you and cry out, “I love You!  I love You, Father.”   


No comments:

Post a Comment