Thursday, January 22, 2015

Solid Gold Bracelets

My Personal Devotional  Friday 1-9-15 (Guesthouse, Tumwater, WA)     Scripture reading: Gen 23-24    Luke 9

S. Gen 24:29-31  Now Rebekah had a brother named Laban.  When he saw the nose-ring and the bracelets on his sister's wrists, and when he heard her story, he rushed out to the spring, where the man was still standing beside his camels. Laban said to him, "Come and stay with us, you who are blessed by the LORD. Why do you stand here outside the village when we have a room all ready for you and a place prepared for the camels!"  NLT

O. This is a great story indeed.  A servant is sent on a long journey to bring back a young bride for Isaac.  God led him to Rebekah… a sweet, beautiful teenager who, with no arterial motive, offers to water his camels.  She comes back to her home with classy bracelets of pure gold and a gold nose ring. She has a brother named Laban.  This is the first mention of this fellow in the Bible.  When he sees the shining gold and hears her story, he leaps up and dashes out to meet the donor and invites him in.  Many years later Laban shows his colors again when he cheats his nephew Jacob multiple times for material gain.

A.  The sight of shining gold makes a lot of people jump… yes, even some pastors.  Quick as a wink they, like Laban, jump up and run to the donor.  “Come on in!  Sit here!  We knew we liked you the moment we saw you!”  (… and your gold-plated Cadillac in the parking lot. J) “This is just the church for you!”  Now I must ask myself: Did I jump that quickly last week to greet that family that looks like they live on food stamps?  Brother James has a word for “Pastor Laban” and for you and me.

James 2:1-4  My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim that you have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people more than others? For instance, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in shabby clothes. If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, "You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor" — well, doesn't this discrimination show that you are guided by wrong motives? NLT

P.  Well, Lord, I am sure glad that I am not like Laban, or like that other pastor over there.  I have pure motives.  I do not discriminate… II… What is that you are saying, Lord?  Oh, You are telling me I have too many “I”s in my prayer?  Lord, You know my heart better than I do.  Help me open the door for the divine scrutiny of Your Holy Spirit… and crushed beneath the weight of my own evil, self-centered heart, to plead for forgiveness and mercy.  Change me.  Let me see people as You see them and regardless of their status welcome them into my life as You would welcome them… with open arms.  Amen 


No comments:

Post a Comment