Wednesday, January 28, 2015

God’s Big Treasure Chest

Tuesday 1-27-15 (Home)   Scripture reading:         Exod 17-20          Acts 3

S.  Ex 19:5-6  Now if you will obey me and keep my covenant, you will be my own special treasure from among all the nations of the earth; for all the earth belongs to me.  And you will be to me a kingdom of priests, my holy nation. NLT

O.  The Israelites are trudging through the desert, a huge company of more than a million ex-slaves. God has rescued them from the cruel hand of the Egyptians and now promises great things for them.  He wants to bless the entire world through Israel’s DNA.  He is marching them toward victory… to a land flowing with milk and honey.  He wants to make them into a kingdom of priests, His holy nation. 

Subsequently, however they will fall into idolatry and other sins.  God gives them dozens of opportunities to come back into His loving arms.  But their history rises and falls over the centuries leaving a trail of broken hopes and failure.  There seems little chance of the “special treasure” prophecy reaching fulfillment. 

Then the coming of Jesus brings new hope… not to make Israel into a perfect nation, but for God to use this little nation, “His own special treasure”, as the launching pad… to introduce His only Son, the King of all kings. 

At Pentecost God’s Holy Spirit sends out a little team of Jewish men, with the message of Christ’s sacrificial death and victorious resurrection, calling for repentance and acceptance of His love and grace.  New converts then spread the word, making disciples.  He is launching a spiritual kingdom… a kingdom without borders of rivers, mountains or seas.  In this way “all the nations of the world are destined be blessed.”

A.  How can I become a part of this heavenly kingdom?  Jesus announces that He is the door.  There is no other way.  My sins had blocked my way.  But Jesus took their blow in my place.  He canceled the power of my condemning sins with His sacrificial death upon the cross.  He arose from the dead, was seen by hundreds of his disciples for 40 days, then returned to His Father with a promise to return.  But when He left for heaven… He left the door open for me and for anyone, not only Israelites… young or old, educated or uneducated, of all colors, cultures all languages.

Rev 1:5-6 All praise to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us his Kingdom and his priests who serve before God his Father. Give to him everlasting glory! He rules forever and ever! Amen!” NLT

P.  Heavenly Father, it seems almost too easy.  We want to do something big and significant to earn our entry ticket.  But You have already paid for this ride.   I was among the “whosoever will” who were invited aboard.  As a little child I stepped into Your wonderful grace.  You sent Your Holy Spirit to guide, protect and carry me through those dangerous teenage years.  And as I began my adult journey, You never left my side.  You gave me a wonderful help-mate that loved You and loved me.  You have treated me like one of Your own special treasures

And now as I approach the end of my journey, I pray that until you come to take me home, you will use me to touch the lives of many more.  I pray that I may be an instrument in Your hands, encouraging hundreds of Your own special treasures; children, teenagers, youth and adults, not only to “step aboard”, but to enter into a lifetime of dedicated service for the advance of Your kingdom.  Help me fill your big treasure chest.  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment