Thursday, January 22, 2015

She touched the feet of God

I share with you my personal devotional diary today:  Wednesday 1-7-15 

(Quality Inn Portland, Oregon)  Today’s scripture reading: Gen 18-19    Ps 3     Luke 7

S.  Luke 7:47-50  “I tell you, her sins — and they are many — have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love."  Then Jesus said to the woman, "Your sins are forgiven."  The men at the table said among themselves, "Who does this man think he is, going around forgiving sins?" And Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace." NLT

O.  A woman known for her immoral lifestyle is attracted to Jesus and interrupts the feast at a wealthy Pharisee’s home.  Unable to remain outside on the street, she enters and crouches behind where Jesus was reclining at the table.  Now the scent of perfume floods the room.  She is weeping heavily and with her long hair she is wiping her flood of tears off of His feet.  To His host, this was absolute proof that Jesus was no prophet at all.  If He was a prophet He would know what kind of a woman this is and never allowed her to touch Him.

A.  Would Jesus have allowed me to touch Him?  I am as unworthy as that woman.  That Pharisee, thought he was a pretty good boy.  He sought to obey the Mosaic law, but falling short of God’s glory, was equally an unworthy sinner.  But here was a woman well known for her immoral life style!  Unholy hands broke through the sin barrier and touched God that day.  And they not only touched His feet, they touched His heart.  What was it that brought salvation to that wretched woman, that day?  Was it the sacrifice of her costly perfume?  Was it her tears of repentance spilling on His sacred feet?  Jesus declares, “Your faith has saved you.”  She broke into that room because she believed in Jesus.  Her actions revealed her faith and love for Him.  Faith took action.  She crouches down, way down close to the floor.  You can’t wipe feet with your hair without assuming an extremely humble position.  Simon, the Pharisee, saw only a dirty, outcast prostitute.  Jesus saw her deep love and faith displayed in her actions. 
Long ago, when I was a little child kneeling at His feet, He looked down and said, “Your faith has saved you.  Go in peace.”  And instantly I knew something had happened to me.  My childlike prayer had touched the feet of Jesus!  I stood up and began to sing, “Oh, How I love Jesus!”  I sang it over and over again that unforgettable day.  And I am still singing it today.

P.  Lord Jesus, how can I touch Your feet again today?  What is that I hear you saying? “I assure you, when you do it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you are doing it to me!”  Oh Lord, I thought You were way up there in heaven.  I thought Your feet were out of my reach.  Open my eyes to see Your feet that are close to me and give me the courage to break into the scene and touch the feet of God.  Amen.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment