Thursday, January 22, 2015

It’s a tunnel, not a cave

Wednesday 1-21-15 (Home)   

Scripture reading:    Exod 1-2    Ps 88    Luke 21

S.  Ps 88:1-5 O Jehovah, God of my salvation, I have wept before you day and night.  Now hear my prayers; oh, listen to my cry, for my life is full of troubles, and death draws near.  They say my life is ebbing out - a hopeless case.  They have left me here to die, like those slain on battlefields from whom your mercies are removed.

Ps 89:1-2  Forever and ever I will sing about the tender kindness of the Lord! Young and old shall hear about your blessings. Your love and kindness are forever; your truth is as enduring as the heavens. TLB

O.  King David knew what it was to fall into deep depression.  The entire Psalm 88 is a cry of despair. 

A.  Why would he be inspired to write a song about it?  Why would the Lord of Heaven allow this lament to be found right in the middle of His Holy writings?  Perhaps it is to let the despairing soul know that he or she is not alone.  The greatest of God’s servants passed through dark tunnels of depression and finally came out on the other side victorious.  In fact the very first verses that follow after David’s psalm of despair, Psalm 89:1-2, start with a shout joyous victory. 

P.  Dear Father, can it be that we are not capable of fully appreciating our grand victorious life without some experiences that carry us into the depths of despair?  It seems that those who have suffered the most and have finally come through their darkness into light are those that best communicate Your love and Your joy.  I thank You Lord, for the light at the end of the tunnel.  You let us know that there is always hope.  Your word says, “Weeping may go on all night, but joy comes with the morning.” Ps 30:5 NLT  Hallelujah! 

So, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”  (Phil 4:4 NIV)  Because it’s a tunnel, not a cave!


No comments:

Post a Comment