Monday, September 14, 2015

A Visit to the Valley of Remorse

Monday   9-14-15  (Home in Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:   Eze 36-37    Ps 110    Rev. 19

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ezek 37:1-3  The LORD took hold of me, and I was carried away by the Spirit of the LORD to a valley filled with bones.  He led me around among the old, dry bones that covered the valley floor. They were scattered everywhere across the ground.  Then he asked me, "Son of man, can these bones become living people again?  NLT


O.  The question at hand was, “Can these bones live again?”  There had been a great battle and Ezekiel was looking at what was left of an army of losers.  They had gone down fighting.  They had lost their battle.  Years had passed.  The vultures had long since abandoned the scene.  The prophet was observing sad history.


A.  Why does God ask me hard questions?  I would certainly have answered, “No way, Lord!  Look they are scattered.  Who knows which bones once belonged to which body?  Oh yeah... I guess You know.” 


I was 15 years old on a deer hunting trip with my Dad and friends in eastern Oregon.  I had hiked alone with my rifle for miles.  I was tired and bored.  On a lonely hillside I came across a heap of dry bones, bleached white with the sun, obviously from several cattle... skulls and all.  I decided to build a cow.  I arranged each bone in the place I imagined it should go... spread out on the ground... and then looked down at my work of art.  I had made a full sized cow.  I just needed Ezekiel to come prophesy to these bones.


P.  Lord, once in a while You take me to a valley filled only with memories of a lost battle.  I gave it my best shot.  I threw myself into my work.  I made some mistakes, but don’t we all?  I reached for the goal, but when You take me back to this valley of remorse, it is clear that I lost the battle.   Some dear people were injured.  My hopes were scattered and shattered.  They lie there, dry and bleached by the sun.  And now You dare to come to me with the question: “Can these bones live again?”  “Ralph, prophesy to these bones!”  “What?  God, there is no hope.  It is a lost cause!”  “What are You saying?”  “Prophesy anyway!... And watch what only I can do!”  Dry bones scream, “It’s hopeless!”  But You don’t give up, God.  You can put the puzzle together again.  You can add muscle, sinews, skin... and you can breathe life into my dead hopes.  You can make them stand to their feet... a vast army.  You are the Resurrection and the Life!  You are my Hope!  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment