Saturday, September 19, 2015

The Treasure Chest

Saturday   9-19-15  (Home in Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:   Eze 47-48     Luke 2

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Luke 2:18 -19 All who heard the shepherds' story were astonished, but Mary quietly treasured these things in her heart and thought about them often.

 Luke 2:49-51 "But why did you need to search?" he asked. "You should have known that I would be in my Father's house."  But they didn't understand what he meant. Then he returned to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them; and his mother stored all these things in her heart.  NLT


O.  I assume that Joseph was all business.  “Okay, let’s get the show back on the road.  We have already lost three days.”  He probably was thinking, “When I get this kid home I am going to teach him a thing or two about responsibility to his parents.”  However, Mary, was adding this action and strange excuse given by her 12 year old son, Jesus, to her treasure chest. 


A.  Mothers are like that.  They have treasure chests down inside their hearts.  They store things and open the lid frequently to stir around in there and just enjoy the memories.  There was Gabriel’s angelic visit whose message got her in trouble with her future husband.  There was her visit to her aged cousin, Elisabeth, up in the hill country.  There was a midnight visit from some excited shepherds kneeling in worship in a stable.  There were the words of the elderly Simeon and Anna in the Temple.  Years later Mary would open her treasure chest and share it with the historian, Doctor Luke.



P.  Lord, what do I have in my treasure chest?  Let me open the lid for a peek.  There it is!  The day 78 years ago when I opened my heart to receive You... It was the day You flooded me with Your love.  And there is the day I seemed destined to fall to my death on the rocks below a cliff in Oceanside, Oregon... and You gave me Your hand.  And the day I joined my life to my sweetheart, Frances.  Oh!  Just look down in there and stir around!  So many shining jewels!  Treasures!  And every one of them is a gift from You!  How can I thank You enough?!  I can only fall at Your feet again to worship the Giver of Life... abundant life.  Amen.


Ralph   


No comments:

Post a Comment