Sunday, September 13, 2015

Just a Reflection

Recently I was invited to perform in a public school with my little ventriloquist friend, Felipe.  I would have the liberty to present good morals as Felipe always does.  However there was one stipulation.  I was asked to “avoid” the mention of a certain word... a certain name.  I realize that the principal and teachers feel that their positions might be placed in jeopardy if someone was to complain... so it is not my intention to accuse them of culpability in this situation.  The issue is much bigger than the administrative staff of that school.

Perhaps I should have taken the opportunity to make the following speech:  (Although I assure you that I would never do so without giving them the courtesy of reading and approving it first.)

“Honorable Principal, Teachers and Students:

I have been invited here with only one word that I am not allowed to mention.  I have not been prohibited to curse God or use foul language, although I am sure that, as a minister, you felt confident that I would not do that.  I am quite sure that I would be allowed to speak at length, saying anything honorable about Mohammed, Buddha or Darwin.  But there is a name that I am prohibited to mention.  It is the name, and the only name, that prominently stands behind the great principles that created this nation, America the Beautiful.  It is the name used in the Book which is now prohibited to be taught in this school, although it is still the best seller of all time.  It served well for many years as the textbook of this nation’s first schools.  It could be found in every school library.  My parents and many of their peers learned to read from its pages.  Our courts had quotes from that book engraved on their walls.  Great presidents, like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln often quoted the sayings and principles proclaimed by the Person Whose name I am prohibited to mention. 

Even back then not everyone was pleased with our liberty to speak His name.  There were always those that preferred another way of life.  But back in those days we had what we called “Freedom of Speech.”  We could tell it like it was... even while we understood that not everyone would be pleased with the content of our speech.  There were limitations, however.  Cursing and foul language were not “acceptable” in public addresses.  Today those same “unacceptable” words have become common in the speech of our children because they are allowed on the radio, TV and movie screens and the literature read by our children.  Our “new rules” are vehement about our “freedom of speech” to present and even promote practices and “life-styles” that, only a generation ago, were considered degenerate, contemptible and evil.  

Our freedom is only limited to the case of one word.  It is the name whose documented history, even in secular accounts, is confirmed more thoroughly than that of Nero or Alexander the Great. His birth and life divides our world calendar into Before and After,  Yes, His name is offensive to some. But by many it is considered to be the most important name, and even the most pleasant name that can ever be spoken by human tongue.  

I want to thank you for this opportunity to speak to this school.  I have done my best to comply with your regulations.  I have not mentioned the name of my best Friend, my Greatest Helper, the One I love and serve.  Thank you very much!”


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment