Thursday, September 10, 2015

Detour: Turn, Danger Ahead!

Thursday   9-10-15  (Monterey, California District Minister’s Retreat)

Scripture reading:  Lam 3-5     Rev. 15

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Lam 3:22-27  The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction.  Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day.   I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!"  The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him.  So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the LORD.  And it is good for the young to submit to the yoke of his discipline.  NLT


O.  Jeremiah has described vividly, complete with tears, the total destruction of Jerusalem and the horrible condition of the few survivors.  He has been faithful to the Lord as His prophet, yet he is suffering along with his people.  He remembers better days of long ago.  He seems to be starving with the others.  All is lost... Yet sitting in the middle of all this rubble, Jeremiah writes these words of hope based upon his concept of a just, good, loving, faithful God.


A.  Would my faith hold up in similar circumstances?  I don’t ever want to try to find out. 


P.  Lord, when a nation ignores Your Words and despises Your warnings... and when it falls under Your strong hand of judgment, unfortunately the minority of righteous may suffer along with the rebellious.   I cannot remove myself from the destruction that surrounds me.  And even if I were spared, I would suffer for others that I see suffering around me.  I think my heart reflects Your heart in this.  For You say, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!”  (Ezek 33:11)  How much better it would be for our national leadership to humble themselves along with many of our people and cry out in repentance... and "turn" before judgment falls.  Lord, help us see and heed your warnings, “Detour”... “Turn” there is danger ahead.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment