Sunday, September 13, 2015

My Felipe refused to attempt it

Sunday   9-13-15  (Home in Modesto, California)

Scripture reading:   Eze 33-35    Rev. 18

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ezek 33:30 "Son of man, your people are whispering behind your back. They talk about you in their houses and whisper about you at the doors, saying, 'Come on, let's have some fun! Let's go hear the prophet tell us what the LORD is saying!' Vs 32-33  You are very entertaining to them, like someone who sings love songs with a beautiful voice or plays fine music on an instrument. They hear what you say, but they don't do it!  NLT


O.  God is disappointed with His people, the Israelites.  They come to hear His holy word only for entertainment.  They cheer and applaud then go their way, satisfied as though they had enjoyed a good meal and make no attempt to live according to God’s instruction.


A.  Does not this have a familiar ring to it?  People want to be entertained.  Some preachers are much more entertaining than others.  They are the ones whose names appear on posters.  People buy tickets to their conferences and drive far to hear them.   Certainly it is no sin to be entertaining while presenting God’s message.  Jesus was one of the best examples.  People came from afar to hear Him tell His wonderful stories.   If entertainment were a sin, I would be the worst of sinners since I start off with my little friend, Felipe, and lots of fun and laughter.  Still I admit that I am uncomfortable with the amount of applause in churches directed toward us individual actors, singers and preachers.


I recently turned down what, at first, seemed to be an attractive offer to take my little Felipe to a public school.  They were promising me liberty to use my talents to speak good moral thoughts to their large group of children.  There was only one stipulation... and it was firm.  “Please avoid the mention the name of Jesus.”  My Felipe refused to attempt it... because Jesus is the heart and soul of his message.


P.  Lord Jesus, I just want to be like You.  I want to preach Your word in such a way that the hearers will want to come, but will not just be entertained.  I want their lives to be impacted by your message.  I want to them to sense Holy Spirit conviction.  I want them to surrender to Your will.  I want lives to be transformed by Your miracle working power.  Lord, please help me never to be satisfied with only entertaining my hearers.  Amen. 


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment