Thursday, March 5, 2015

Behind the curtain

Thursday 3-5-15 (Home) Scripture reading:    Deut 1-2    Mark 12

S.  Mark 12:38-41 "Beware of the teachers of religion! For they love to wear the robes of the rich and scholarly, and to have everyone bow to them as they walk through the markets.  They love to sit in the best seats in the synagogues and at the places of honor at banquets- but they shamelessly cheat widows out of their homes and then, to cover up the kind of men they really are, they pretend to be pious by praying long prayers in public. Because of this, their punishment will be the greater." TLB

O.  In this chapter the religious elite of Jesus’ day had just put Him through an interrogation of trick questions to try to get Him to say something that they could use against Him and get Him killed.  But each time he answered with a wisdom that left their heads spinning and put them to shame. 

Now he turns to the crowd that had witnessed the whole debate and says, “Watch out for these religious teachers!  They delight in the respect and honor of the working class and pray eloquent prayers in public while behind the curtain they cheat poor widows out of their grocery money.”

Jesus did not even seem to like titles of honor, like “Father” or “Reverend.”  He even said, “And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.” (Matt 23:9) NIV

A.  Today we are in a “religious title war.”  We ministers of the gospel bequeath upon our honored peers the titles of “Reverend,” “Bishop,” “Doctor,” “Apostle” or “Prophet.” 

Many times I have been referred to as “Father” by well meaning Roman Catholics.  I prefer “Brother Ralph” which puts me on their level.  I do not doubt that there are those among us both men and women that God uses as apostles and prophets, but the moment that I allow any title to be used to lift me one notch higher than my brother… at that moment I have stepped into the company of those that Jesus warns us about.  Jesus is saying, “Watch out for the kind who delight in being honored above their fellow servants.” 

Of course not all who have struggled many months or years to earn their doctorate degree are cheating widows behind the curtain.  But I met a little fellow one day that had earned a doctorate and from that day on he insisted that even his closest friends refer to him as Doctor “Somebody.”  I, on the other hand, have not earned a doctorate degree yet, so I can still brag openly about my humility. 

P.  God help me!  I really need Your help, because You know that my peers honor me far more than I deserve.  And although I would deny it publically, I probably am enjoying it down inside my heart.  What is that you are saying, Lord?  That I am just jealous that I can’t be called “Doctor Ralph”?  Whatever is going on inside my heart, Lord, You can see it more clearly than I… for You can see behind the curtain.  Help me not to judge my brothers and sisters, but just to clean up my own act.  Oh Jesus, I just want to be like You!  Mold me, shape me into Your humble image.  Help me do as You exhorted when you said, “Learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matt 11:29) NIV  Amen.


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment