Monday, March 23, 2015

“I Know Everything!”

Monday 3-23-15 (Martinez, Argentina)

Scripture reading:    Josh 15-17     1 Cor 8


S.   1 Cor 8:1  While knowledge may make us feel important, it is love that really builds up the church.  NLT


O.  The Apostle Paul had to do some detailed clean-up in the Corinthian church.  They were allowing immorality to survive within the church and then getting all picky about issues of lesser importance.  He is trying to set them free from the bondage of some minor prohibitions that some were promoting, while at the same time dealing with the delicate issue of damaging the weak conscience of others.  He starts this chapter with a clear statement which is the basis for all that follows.  (My paraphrase): “You think you are so smart that you can set the rules for everybody else?  Well, what you really need is a good dose of the Jesus kind of love!”


A.  “I know everything!” My grandson, Evan, was 4 years old.  He was with his dad, Tim, driving somewhere new to them when Evan points to one side and says, “Dad, that’s a church.”  Tim asks, “How do you know it’s a church?”  Evan: “I know everything!” Tim: “I thought only God knew everything.” Long silence as the car carried them another mile or two down the road.  Tim thought that was the end of the conversation.  But the 4 year old brain was churning up an answer.  “God knows everything.  God lives in my heart.  I know everything!” 


Evan is 17, now and pulling down good grades, but now he knows that he isn’t as smart as he was when he was 4.  Funny how the older we get the less we know.  Somebody said, “Too soon old, too late smart.” 


Religious people are experts at making rules to follow.  Get started down this road and you will end up with a sect… and your little group is the only one going to heaven.  So Brother Paul sets out the answer.  Love a lot.  And keep your weaker brothers in focus when you are tempted to display your wonderful freedom in Christ.


P.  Do I get it yet, Lord?  Jesus, help me to get it.  I see a ring in the nose and I think “heathen!” (And I might be right, too.) I can’t understand the lyrics of their song because the drums and bass guitar kill the words of the singers.  All the youth are getting blessed… while I am plugging my ears to save what is left of my hearing.  Then I notice that the lyrics are on the screen… and they are really worshipping the Lord!   Okay, God, I surrender.  I don’t know everything.  Please just dole me out a double portion of Your love.  I don’t want my sour face to cause my weaker little brother or sister to stumble.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment