Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Two men. Two destinies.

Tuesday 3-3-15 (Home) 

Scripture reading:  Num 32-33   Mark 10

S.  Mark 10:21-22 Jesus felt genuine love for this man as he looked at him. "You lack only one thing," he told him. "Go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."  At this, the man's face fell, and he went sadly away because he had many possessions.

Mark 10:51-52  "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked.  "Teacher," the blind man said, "I want to see!"  And Jesus said to him, "Go your way. Your faith has healed you." And instantly the blind man could see! Then he followed Jesus down the road.   NLT

O.  Two men seek Jesus in this chapter.  The first is a wealthy young fellow with a good moral reputation.  He comes running up to Jesus and kneels before him.  “Good Master, what can I do to have eternal life?” Jesus looked at him with deep, heavenly love.  He knew that he was wealthy and that his riches ruled over him and held him back.  They had him in chains.  “Give them away,” Jesus pleaded, “Then come and follow me.” What an invitation!  And yet…at what cost!  The choice was made quickly.  He rises from his knees, turns around and walks sadly back into his prison cell and shuts the door behind him for eternity. 

Barty was blind.  He lived at the opposite extreme of the economic scale.  He owned a ragged coat and a tin cup.  He, too, found out that Jesus was passing by.  Hope and faith joined hands inside his soul.  Jesus, the Healer was out there somewhere.  He called for Him.  His friends said, “Shut up, Barty.  You’re a nobody.  Jesus is important and very busy.”  But Barty kept calling until Jesus heard him and called for him. 

Now Barty jumps up and throws his tattered old coat away.  He won’t need it anymore.  His eyes will soon be able to see.  “Somebody take me to Jesus!  Where is He?”

The very first thing that Barty sees with his new eyes... is the face of Jesus.  And Jesus says, “Okay, Barty!  You can go home now.”  But Barty doesn’t want to go home.  He has only one desire.  He has seen the face of Jesus.  And he forgets his tin cup and old coat lying in the dirt back there and “follows Jesus down the road.” 

Two men.  Jesus looks at one man with deep love and says, “Leave it all and come and follow me.”  But no!  He turns and walks sadly away.  To the other man, who had been a blind beggar, Jesus says, “You can go home now!”  But no!  He follows Jesus down the road. 

A.  Which man am I?  Am I anchored to my life style?  Do my possessions possess me?  Could I dare to release them all to follow Jesus down what appears to be Poverty Lane? 

P.  Lord, please open my eyes to clearly see what things I hold and what things are holding me back.  I cry, “Lord, bless me!”  And then You do!  But don’t let me get attached to Your generous material blessings and lose sight of Your wonderful face.  An old song says, “Oh I want to see Him, look upon His face.  There to sing forever of His saving grace.”  When I see Your face, Jesus, as another song says, “The things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.”  Amen 


Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment