Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Heavenly Spa

Tuesday 3-24-15 (Martinez, Argentina)

Scripture reading:    Josh 18-20     1 Cor 9


S.   1 Cor 9:24-26  Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win.  All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.  So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. NLT


O.  Certainly, just like today, in Paul’s day there were famous athletes admired by their fans.  These were people that spent hours every day tuning up the muscles in their physical bodies.  The Apostle Paul compares this to those of us who choose to excel in our Christian life.  He practiced self-discipline and encourages us to do the same.  A marathon runner cannot expect to finish the course without spending endless hours building up his leg muscles, lung capacity, balance and heart. 


A.  I have a preacher friend that does a lot of travel.  But everywhere he goes, even if he is only staying a day or two, he seeks out a gymnasium, pays the fee and uses their equipment to maintain and build his physical body.  I prefer to do push-ups and other exercises in whatever hotel room or wherever I am staying.  But here the Holy Scripture is speaking to me through my brother Paul.  How much time do I spend with God, the Source of all my spiritual strength? 


P.  Oh my Master, my King, my Lord… daily You invite me into Your presence.  At the price of Your own life, Lord Jesus, You opened the door to the throne room of our great Creator God.  I don’t have to seek out a spa or gymnasium.  I don’t need to locate a cathedral or even a chapel.  Wherever I am, I can slip away from the hustle-bustle of this world and step through that open door into Your glorious presence.  There, in Your heavenly spa, I can bathe in Your glory and soak in the warmth of Your love and care.  There I can bare my soiled soul before You without fear, because You took my punishment on the cross.  You paid the price in full.  There I feel the tender arms of God embracing me.  Then with renewed strength I can turn and step out into a turbulent world to face unknown spiritual battles, not in my feeble strength, but in Your power and in the authority of Your name!   Amen.


A Quiet Place
by Ralph Carmichael

There is a quiet place
Far from the rapid pace
Where God can soothe my troubled mind

Sheltered by tree and flower
There in my quiet hour
With Him my cares are left behind

Whether a garden small
Or on a mountain tall

New strength and courage there I find
Then from this quiet place
I go prepared to face
A new day with love for all mankind




No comments:

Post a Comment