Tuesday, March 10, 2015

“Tell my disciples… and Peter”

Monday 3-9-15 (Home) 

Scripture reading:    Deut 9-10       Mark 16


S.  Mark 16:7  Now go and give this message to his disciples, including Peter:  NLT


O.  The last recorded time that Jesus had looked at Peter a rooster had just crowed announcing Peter’s third ugly denial.  “I tell you I don’t know that Man!” Peter had been the most outspoken among the disciples and he had failed miserably.  But he had seen Jesus during his mock trial, turn and look at him when the rooster crowed… and he fled from the scene of his failure into a dark and hopeless night.  His mind was screaming, “I am a failure!  I’m a failure!” And he wept bitter tears.  Yet Peter did not run and kill himself as Judas had done.  He ran back to the fellowships of his brothers.  The word had gotten out.  All the disciples knew of Peter’s failure. 


Now, the resurrected Jesus is speaking to Mary Magdalene, who apparently was the very first to see him.  “Mary, run and tell the disciples… and Peter…”  Obviously Jesus was concerned about a bold, big mouthed bragger, who was really weak and fragile… and was now hating himself as a total failure.


A.  I think I have been there.  I have looked on my failure and felt there was no hope for me.  Would I every grow out of this?  I would repent and dedicate myself to serve Jesus.  I would make commitments and promises.  I would be sure of myself now.  But then somewhere I would disappoint my Savior again.  And I knew that He had looked at me.  In my despair I found the night to be dark.  But then He said, “Go tell all my faithful disciples that I am alive and am preparing to meet with them again soon… and be sure to tell Ralph.”  Yes, I am encouraged by the fact that the amazing love and grace that caused Jesus to include his most outspoken and most fragile disciple, Peter.   Jesus is saying, “Peter, I have not kicked you out.  Your name is still on my list of my beloved disciples.  Your failure is forgiven and forgotten.  See you soon!”


P.  Oh merciful Lord!  My name is still on the list, not because I am a hero.  It is only on the list because of Your great love and grace.  Both Peter and I should have been rejects.  But You gave us another chance.  You are the God of second chances and third and more!  Help me to grow up and become the man You want me to be and in the meantime… I know that the flow of Your love, mercy and grace will never falter!  I know, because you included my stumbling brother, Peter.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment