Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hair or No Hair? That is the Question

Thursday 3-26-15 (Martinez, Argentina)

Scripture reading:    Josh 23-24     Ps 44     1 Cor 11


S.   1 Cor 11:13-16  "What do you think about this? Is it right for a woman to pray to God in public without covering her head?  Isn't it obvious that it's disgraceful for a man to have long hair?  And isn't it obvious that long hair is a woman's pride and joy? For it has been given to her as a covering.  But if anyone wants to argue about this, all I can say is that we have no other custom than this, and all the churches of God feel the same way about it."  NLT


O.  Paul is writing to correct various activities of the Corinthian believers.  It seems that he is trying to bring them into conformity with the general customs of the churches of that time.  I have heard much from the pulpit preached from the second part of 1 Cor 11 related to Holy Communion, but I don’t recall a single sermon from this first section.  Most of us preachers would not want to touch it with a ten foot pole!  Ha!  


A.  There are some Pentecostal churches that take this section very seriously, but for some reason they never seem to stop with these pauline rules, but add many other rules and tend to become extremely legalistic and cultish. 


Frances and I were visiting a tourist city on vacation in southern Argentina.  We had no Assemblies of God church in the town at that time, but noticed a small church that looked inviting.  So we arrived right on time according to the sign outside.  The doors were open, but we were apparently the first to arrive.  We chose seats about half way down the aisle.  Soon an usher came in to greet us.  He kindly informed us that we could not sit together.  The women sat on the left side of the sanctuary and the men on the right.  Now here we were… only two people in the church, one on each side of the aisle!  Soon others arrived and greeted us warmly.  All the ladies had long hair and little crocheted, decorative doilies resting lightly on their heads, apparently attempting to obey Paul’s instructions.  Finally the pastor arrived and introduced himself to me and asked me if I was a minister.  So I let him know that I was credentialed with the Assemblies of God.  After some songs of worship, the pastor announced without warning that I was preaching.  When he invited me to the platform, he also invited Frances… and someone whispered to me, “Now on the platform you can sit with your wife.”  These were their customs.  However their customs were so foreign to the up-to-date local customs in their town that their little church was unlikely to win many converts.  Anyway I preached “Jesus” and all were blessed… including me.  These were dear Christian people that love their Lord.


P.  Okay, Lord, I do have the custom of taking my hat off (if I am wearing one) in respect to You when I pray, like Paul suggests… and most of our ladies do allow their hair to grow more than us men.  But we have never made these things a hard rule.  There are lovely Áfrican women whose hair refuses to grow long and I believe You love them just as much as others with long hair.  Please, Lord, help us to not get hung up on minor religious customs at the risk of neglecting Your compassion and the warm heart of Your Gospel of freedom from the chains and eternal consequences of sin.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment