Monday, March 2, 2015

How to welcome Jesus

Monday 3-2-15 (Home) 

Scripture reading:   Num 30-31    Mark 9

S.  Mark 9:36-37 Then he put a little child among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, "Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes my Father who sent me." 

O.  Jesus had just told his disciples once again that He would soon be betrayed, killed and rise from the dead.  Did they understand his words?  Certainly they did, but the frightening truths contained in His words remained cloudy in their minds.  They had more important things to argue about, like which one of them really should be nominated for an Oscar.  So Jesus found a little child and took him in His arms.  Now all eyes were on Him and the child.  Jesus had a way of putting everything in perspective. “Open your arms to receive a little child like this and you have just opened your arms to Me… and to My Father.”  

 A.  I like to arrive early at every church service even when I am not ministering.  I am just made that way.  When the first family arrives with their three little kids I often go to greet them.  Strangely enough, few parents expect an adult to greet their children.  I have seen pastors and church greeters pass up the kids like they didn’t exist and greet only the parents.  Usually kids love to be greeted.  Just give a high five and learn his or her name and you may have made a friend.  Jesus is telling me that if I can make that little child feel welcome, in so doing I have just welcomed Him and His Heavenly Father into the room.  Can that be?  Wow!  How important is that!

I am still waiting to see it happen.  The pastor reads the above scripture and announces, “Now let’s welcome Jesus and His Heavenly Father into this sanctuary.  And since everybody was listening and understood the words of Jesus, they all run to find a little child and give each one a hearty welcome. 

And, behold, Jesus comes in with a big smile… for He feels welcome now.

P.  Jesus, I am so glad that You showed so much love and attention to children.  I will never forget the day I met up with Your love.  I cried lots of tears as I repented of my sins.  My mother remembered that day, too.  She said I was only 5 years old.  That was the day You picked me up in Your tender arms and forgave me of my sins.  I knew that something good had happened to me.  I had fallen in love with You, Jesus.  Yes, Lord, the long path has been littered with tripping and falling, but every time I was down, I looked up and You were still at my side.  And once again You lifted me into Your arms like You did when I was a small child.  You stood me again on the narrow path and took my hand to lead me upward.  I hope I’ll never grow old and stiff and grumpy.  I just want to remain Your little child at heart… for I know that You love us kids.                                                                                                                                     Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment