Sunday, December 20, 2015

A Fountain Designed to “Flow Out”

Sunday   12-20-15  Home in Modesto 

Scripture reading:    John 7 - 8

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  John 7:37-39  On the last day, the climax of the festival, Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, "If you are thirsty, come to me!   If you believe in me, come and drink!  For the Scriptures declare that rivers of living water will flow out from within." (When he said "living water," he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him...)  NLT


O.  It is the final day of the festivals.  Jesus knows that He will soon be crucified.  He stands amid the huge crowds that form around the temple in Jerusalem and shouts a “final invitation” to these weary Jewish faithfuls.  His words are reminiscent of the Prophet Isaiah: "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!  Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.  Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?  (Isa 55:1-2) NIV


A.  Jesus promises me much more than a religion.  He offers me a deep, living spiritual experience.  God plants His Spirit within me and “Living Water” will flow out from within me to others.  This “Water” that gives life will flow out from me and from all who follow Jesus... to bless thirsty souls.  His Spirit is inside me right now!  It is pushing me to let it flow out to a thirsty world around me.  How long can I remain silent?


P.  Lord Jesus, You have placed a living fountain inside me.  Living water, within me pushes me to let it flow out.  That fountain was never designed to just satisfy my thirst alone.  The word “fountain” suggests continual flow.  It suggests abundance.  Your life giving flow is already inside me.  I must not, I dare not hold it back.  I must open the flood gates and let it out to flow freely, offering to quench the thirst of souls that are looking in all the wrong places to satisfy their deep, spiritual thirst.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment