Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Honored to be His Slave

Monday   11-30-15      Modesto, California

Scripture reading:    Rom 1 -4

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Rom 1:1 This letter is from Paul, Jesus Christ's slave, chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach his Good News.  NLT


O.  Paul identifies himself at the beginning of his letters.  I have often wondered why we have the custom of identifying ourselves at the close of our letters.  He first identifies himself as a slave of Jesus Christ.  He sees himself as a man that has been purchased by shed blood of Jesus.  He is not his own.  He belongs to Jesus.  He has submitted his choices to those of His Master.


A.  How might I identify myself if writing a letter to people that had not yet met me?   Would I refer to myself as the Reverend Ralph Hiatt, Missionary of long standing to Argentina?  Would I present my credentials to add weight to the content of my message which follows?  Or would I write, “My name is Ralph.  My life was out of control until I was purchased by God at the cost of the death of His Only Son.  Now I can no longer make my own choices.  I belong to my Master, Jesus Christ.  I am His slave.”?


When I was 15 years old I was helping my dad build a house.  I would try to think ahead to his next step.  I would have the tool he would need in my hands ready to hand to him before he could ask for it.  I want to be like that for Jesus.


P.  Lord, yes, I know that Paul went on to identify himself as an apostle, but still only a slave chosen to be a messenger sent out with Good News.  I, too, am Your slave.  I, too, have been privileged to be chosen as Your messenger.  Does this give me status?  Or does this simply describe the responsibility entrusted into my care?  Just let be Your faithful slave, watching Your eyes, listening for an opportunity to serve you at Your slightest suggestion.  Thank you, Jesus for the honor of still being Your slave.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment