Thursday, December 17, 2015

Too Deep for My Mind to Fathom

Thursday   12-17-15  Home in Modesto 

Scripture reading:    2 Peter 1 - 3   John 1

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  John 1:1-4  In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and he was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  He created everything there is. Nothing exists that he didn't make.  Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone. NLT


O.  The Apostle John, just a humble fisherman, kicks off his Holy Spirit inspired presentation of Jesus with simple words to describe incredibly deep and wondrous concepts. Undeniably Jesus is the “Logos,” the“Word” of which he writes.  He is both with God and He is God!  Who can diagnose that?!  We know that God created the heavens and the earth.  And Jesus is now declared to be the Creator of everything.  He is the source of both Life and Light.  Anyone who chooses to deny the full deity of Jesus Christ (such as the Jehovah Witnesses) has to jettison the Gospel of John and many other scriptures.


A.  Dr. Milliken was an 82 year old theologian.  He was one of the three founders of Western Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary on the slopes of Mt. Tabor in Portland, Oregon.  I was an 18 year old student.  He was my professor in the original Greek used in the writing of most of the New Testament.  We all purchased a copy of the New Testament in Greek.  I still have it and am holding it in my hand.  It is old and frayed at the edges.  I admit it was Greek to me!  But it soon began to blossom into majestic concepts.


Dr. Milliken took us straight to John 1:1.  He explained that Luke was a doctor and used a doctor’s more ample vocabulary, but John was a fisherman and used simple words... better for beginners like us.  But within one month or less we students were well aware that John took us very deep with his simple language.


P.  Oh Lord, You know that I never became fluent with my reading of the Koiné Greek.  But I learned just enough to fall in love with the masterful Gospel of John.  Every Bible I have owned always wears out first around John’s Gospel.  In its heart is found the verse that has inspired my life’s direction... and is already on my tombstone.* I fall prostrate on my face before You, My Creator and My Savior.  I admit that my finite mind cannot untangle the depths of your Being, but I know that when I look at You, Jesus... I am looking at the Father.  And I worship You!  Amen.


Ralph


*(John 12:24)  

No comments:

Post a Comment