Saturday, December 5, 2015

Whose Hand is on the Helm?

Pastor Justo Jose Urquiza, better known as “Cocholo” serves the Delta island Church.  I always feel safe when his hand is on the helm of whichever of our fleet of five passenger boats.  He is expert at this, a man of many years of experience.   (I captured his hand on the helm. May 30, 2015)


Saturday   12-05-15  Home in Modesto 

Scripture reading:    Eph 5 – 6   Psalm 119:1-80

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ps 119:26  I told you my plans, and you answered.   Now teach me your principles.  NLT


O.  Two way communication with God is vital for every believer.  The Psalmist includes in every verse of this great psalm 119 words which apparently describe the written scriptures available to him: commands, commandments, promises, statutes, decisions, principles, laws, decrees, paths, rules, and words.  The psalmist speaks his plans, his desires and his needs to God, then he seeks to hear from God for instructions... if and how to carry them out.  The list of words above describe the primary source of his communication coming directly from God.


A.  I am not the greatest planner.   I have a friend that can work out details far into the future carefully follow them to reach his goals.  I feel like I am doing pretty well to have a sketchy plan a few weeks or months ahead.  Even so I am often very flexible if changes have to be made.  But most important is that I must communicate regularly with God and wait to hear from Him before leaping into the future.  And how do I hear from God?  Primarily by keeping my heart filled with His Word, His principles and His promises.


P.  Lord, without You I would be like a little child wandering in the desert.  You give direction and purpose to my wanderings.  You have allowed me to be very mobile for many years.  Certainly those future days are numbered.  I may not have these privileges for much longer.  I plead with You for Your steady hand to be upon the helm of my ship.  May every change in direction prove to be a part of Your divine plan for my life... nothing more and nothing less.  Amen.


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment