Monday, December 28, 2015

John stood before the Throne and wept

Sunday   12-28-15  (Home in Modesto) 

Scripture reading:  Rev 5 - 9

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Rev 5:4-5  Then I wept* because no one could be found who was worthy to open the scroll and read it. But one of the twenty-four elders said to me, "Stop weeping! Look, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the heir to David's throne, has conquered. He is worthy to open the scroll and break its seven seals." NLT

I wept and wept NIV  And I wept much KJV  Then I began to weep greatly NASU Then I wept with disappointment  TLB  And I began to weep greatly  NASB


O.  The NLT translation simply says “...I wept...”  All 9 other translations I have in my computer say something like “...I wept and wept...”  “... I began to weep greatly...”  John, the author, wasn’t just shedding a few tears or sobs here.  He was weeping and weeping... weeping greatly.  Obviously he was seeing and understanding more than he has been able to communicate here.  Perhaps John had seen that this scroll represented the destiny of all mankind, sinners bound for judgment without mercy... all of us without hope.  But then into this hopelessness steps the Lamb of God, looking all beat up like dead... yet very much alive.  He is found worthy to take the scroll of coming judgment, open it and put into action God, the Father’s plan of redemption.  John dries his tears as he sees the Lamb.  Hope rises as God’s grace and mercy is applied where only judgment was deserved.   


A.  Were it not for the Lamb of God that was slain and rose again in victory with ugly scars eternally marking his crucified and risen body... were it not for His loving sacrifice, I would be weeping and weeping greatly, too... for a terrible eternity of judgment would be awaiting me, and all of us undeserving sinners.


P.  Father, I cannot claim the slightest worthiness of Your grace and mercy.  I know what I deserve if should I stand at Your great judgment seat.  But I need not weep.  I can now rejoice for the Your Sacrificial Lamb has taken my sentence of guilt.  He was pure and sinless, but He took my beating, my condemnation and lifted me out to safety before I could fall in the horrible pit prepared for the devil and his angels... far from Your Holy presence.  I thank You again, Lord Jesus.  Amen.


Ralph




No comments:

Post a Comment