Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Rocky talks about Stones.

Wednesday   12-16-15  Home in Modesto 

Scripture reading:    1 Peter 1 - 5

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  1 Peter 2:4-5  “Come to Christ, who is the living cornerstone of God's temple. He was rejected by the people, but he is precious to God who chose him. And now God is building you, as living stones, into his spiritual temple.”

Vs 6 “I am placing a stone in Jerusalem, a chosen cornerstone...”  (from Isa.28:16)

Vs 7 "The stone that was rejected by the builders has now become the cornerstone."  (from Psalm 118:22)

Vs 8 “He is the stone that makes people stumble, the rock that will make them fall."  (Isa. 8:14)


O.  At birth he had been named “Simon”, but Jesus renamed him “Peter”, (Rocky).  And when Peter declared Him to be the Messiah, the Son of the living God, Jesus said, “Upon this Rock I will build my Church.”  Upon what Rock?  Peter?  He later showed himself as weak as a fragile flower, wilting before a maiden that accused him of being a follower of Christ.  But when the Holy Spirit came upon him on the Day of Pentecost he became a true “Rock”.  Now years later “Rocky” clarifies for all of us that he is not the cornerstone of the Church and never was.  He is just one of us all... as living stones.  Jesus is the cornerstone, the firm foundation of the Church.  He was rejected by the builders and now has become a stumbling stone to many.


A.  As a living stone I, too, form part of the structure of the Church.  Others will build upon my life and testimony.  If I crumble under the weight, others will fall.    
(I am impressed by how Peter so freely quotes Old Testament scriptures, borrowing from the writings of Isaiah, Hosea, the Psalms of David and the Proverbs of Solomon to support his declarations.  Awesome!)


P.  Lord Jesus, I confess that this has been an important factor when I have been tempted to crumble before some temptation to sin.  You have reminded me that so many beautiful young Christians are resting on my testimony.  If I should crumble, they may fall.  I have a responsibility to support others as a living stone in Your building.  Oh God!  Give me the courage and strength to support them and to lead many to be added as living stones in Your Temple.  Amen.


Ralph

I was very impressed two months ago while ministering in Segovia, Spain, to see this stone aqueduct built by the Romans 50 years before the birth of Christ.  It is more than 2,000 years old and still carries water to its destination, although now through a large pipe.  I examined the huge, cut stones at its base.  They may be worn at the edges, like most of us, but as strong as ever.  What might happen if one or more of these stones should weaken and crumble?  

No comments:

Post a Comment