Saturday, February 6, 2016

A Smoking Parade

Sunday 2-7-16 (Valencia, California ministry in Arleta Assembly of God)   
  
Scripture reading for today:    Lev 4 - 6     Acts 14

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Lev 6:13  A fire shall always be burning on the altar; it shall never go out.  NKJV


O.  The altar was made of wood covered with bronze and portable with rings and poles so that it could be carried with the Israelites as they traveled in the desert.  It was square, about 7 by 7 feet and about 4½ feet high with a huge bronze grate and probably very heavy.  To transport it the two poles were inserted through 2 bronze rings so that four men, or perhaps eight men, could carry it.  Every article of the tabernacle, including each support and its coverings had to be ready to be dismantled and be carried in a precise manner.  But here is the most difficult part.  The fire on the altar was never to go out.


A.  My mind is trying to imagine the sight of that parade.  The entire fleet of Levites are walking in orderly file each carrying part of the dismantled tabernacle... while perhaps the altar of sacrifice leads the way with smoke rising from it continually.  The context here in Leviticus is a description of the many types of sins each demanding a different sacrifice to receive pardon.  This speaks to me of my constant need for forgiveness of sin... for I am no better than those Israelites trudging across the desert and camping out. 


P.  Father God, I thank You for sending Your Son, Jesus, to become an adequate sacrifice for all my sins and for all others.  That fire on the altar could be extinguished the moment Jesus cried from the cross, “It is finished!” and surrendered His spirit to death.  In that moment He crushed the power of sin for me!  I am not yet perfect, but I am forgiven!  Jesus’ sacrifice was sufficient to pay for our forgiveness and open the door to heaven for everyone who will dare to trust in Him.  Lord, our national motto used to be “In God we trust.”  May I make that motto personal for my life!  Amen.


Ralph

 



No comments:

Post a Comment