Monday, February 1, 2016

I need no bells on the hem of my robe.

Sunday  1-31-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Exodus 28 – 29   Acts 7

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ex 28:33-36 And upon its hem you shall make pomegranates of blue, purple, and scarlet, all around its hem, and bells of gold between them all around:  a golden bell and a pomegranate, a golden bell and a pomegranate, upon the hem of the robe all around.  And it shall be upon Aaron when he ministers, and its sound will be heard when he goes into the holy place before the LORD and when he comes out, that he may not die. "You shall also make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it, like the engraving of a signet: HOLINESS TO THE LORD. NKJV


O.  The high priest’s robe was designed by the Lord God of heaven and dictated in minute detail to Moses.  From the head to the feet it was filled with symbolism.  The ephod and the breastplate included precious stones to represent each of the 12 tribes.  He even wore a golden plate engraved with “HOLINESS TO THE LORD.  All around the bottom hem of the robe there was a circle of golden bells and pomegranates.  Whenever the high priest would go behind the curtain into the “Holy of Holies” and stand before ark of God to represent the people, the sound of the bells jingling announced to the other priests waiting outside the curtain that he had not been stricken dead by God.  Yet in spite of all his “holy” robes there were some wicked high priests.  One of them condemned Jesus to death.


A.  I could dress up like a pastor, a priest or a king.  I could play the role.  I could sing a beautiful song and even preach a good sermon.  Yet before Jesus made His sacrifice for my sins I would never have dared to slip behind that curtain and stand before the ark of God.  Why not?  Because “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Rom 3:23)  I would likely have been stricken dead.  But now, the curtain that separated me from God has been ripped in two.  It happened the moment Jesus cried out, “It is finished” from the cross.  That day Jesus took my death sentence.  I am invited into the Holy of Holies, into close fellowship with God.


P.  I praise You, Lord Jesus.  You give me access to the mercy seat.  I am not just permitted to come into the Holy of Holies, You are actually inviting me to come in without fear.  I need no rope tied to my ankle to drag out my dead body.  I need no bells on the hem of my robe.  I am cleansed and made holy through Your precious blood. Hallelujah!  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment