Monday, February 1, 2016

Lord, Send me on another “Angelic Mission”.

Monday  2-1-16 (Home in Modesto, California)     

Scripture reading for today:    Exodus 30 – 32   Acts 8

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Acts 8:26-29  Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is desert. So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. NKJV


O.  Philip was preaching and working miracles in Samaria.  Many people were being added to the church and after the arrival of Peter and John these new converts received the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Now an angel came to Philip to call him away from this successful ministry to another location.  What follows seems to me to be Philip doing the work of an angel.  He obeys the Spirit and closes in on a chariot of a man of high authority in Ethiopia.  He leads this hungry heart to Jesus, takes him down into a pool of water and baptizes him and suddenly disappears.  As far as this Ethiopian was concerned he probably felt that he had been visited by an angel.  The word for “angel” in Greek can also be translated “messenger”.  Certainly Philip fit that description. 


A.  But why would God sent an angel “messenger from heaven” to do ask an “earthly messenger”, a man of God to do the work of an angel?  These early disciples were learning their roles.  They would each become “messengers of God” sent to speak into the hearts of hungry sinners... even religious sinners. 


I am reminded of a trip in Argentina when I took a wrong turn and ended up on some disappearing cow trail alongside a fence in the pampa fields.  Finally the trail led me to a little village with a service station.  I stopped to buy gas and ask directions.  I was in a hurry.  I was going to arrive late for a meeting with a pastor.  The station attendant saw my Bible and asked who I was.  He begged, “Oh!  Pastor, maybe your can help me.  I don’t know how to get the victory over my sins!”  I suddenly realized I was not lost.  God had directed me to a hungry heart.  I entered the service station with my Bible and led this man to a glorious experience with Jesus.  When I left that village on a bumpy, dirt road, I was pouring tears... thanking God that He had led me to a hungry heart.


P.  Dear Lord Jesus, sometimes I feel like I am just spinning my wheels... like I am lost.  What am I doing out here in the middle of nowhere?  But so often I find that You have a master plan.  I am not lost.  I am just on an angelic mission to reach another lost soul.  Help me to always welcome your “angelic missions” and even when I feel lost, and to rest assured that Your Holy Spirit is guiding me to some hungry, lost soul.  Amen


Ralph



No comments:

Post a Comment