Saturday, February 20, 2016

For Your Name’s Sake

Saturday  2-20-16 (Martinez, Buenos Aires, Argentina)     

Scripture reading for today:    Num 7   Psalm 23   Acts 27

S=Scripture  O=Observation  A=Application  P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Ps 23:3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness... For His name's sake. NKJV


O.  This has to be the best known psalm of all.  Can it still be hiding any unseen truths for me?  Why does the Lord restore my soul?  Why does he lead me in paths of righteousness?  For His name’s sake.  God is protecting His Holy name!


A.  If I fail the Lord and fall into sin (unrighteousness) I am soiling the Holy name of the one I serve. 


I shall never forget the day.  I was serving as the national representative for a popular Christian TV program.  All was going well.  Tens of thousands of non-evangelicals were listening and being won to the Lord.  Then it happened, the leader whose name was on the title of the program, was caught in sin and confessed to it being true.  Within hours the black, ugly spot was not only upon this leader’s name... but the Holy Name above all names was splashed, dirtied and cursed by thousands.  An evangelical church in the north of Argentina had just signed a contract for new seats for their congregation at an excellent price.  The selling company called the pastor and cancelled the contract.  Another, a Baptist pastor in Bariloche who had a radio program was cancelled.  Why?  The name of every evangelical Christian organization was splattered with mud.  That highly visible TV leader fell… and splashed us all with the dirt of his sin... and the worse part was... he dirtied the Name of Jesus. 


P.  Lord, for Your name’s sake... I pray that You will continually restore my soul and lead me in Your wonderful paths of righteousness.  As long as I do not step off Your paths of righteousness to the right or to the left, Your highly respected name is kept shiny and clean.  Holy Spirit, You are my guide.  Just keep me on the straight and narrow.  And since it is true that many are following me as I follow You... don’t let me mess up.  Keep me close to You... for their sake... and for Your name’s sake.  Amen.


Ralph  


No comments:

Post a Comment