Monday, October 24, 2016

Lord, do it again!

Saturday 10-15-2016  Martínez, Argentina
Today we read: Neh 13   Malachi 1 – 2  and  Acts 4

S.  Acts 4:8-12 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Leaders and elders of our nation, are we being questioned because we've done a good deed for a crippled man? Do you want to know how he was healed? Let me clearly state to you and to all the people of Israel that he was healed in the name and power of Jesus Christ from Nazareth, the man you crucified, but whom God raised from the dead. For Jesus is the one referred to in the Scriptures, where it says, 'The stone that you builders rejected has now become the cornerstone.'  There is salvation in no one else! There is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on to save them." NLT

O.  Peter and John are arrested thrown into prison for the night and brought to trial the next day.  Is this the same Peter that, when accused by a servant girl, denied he had every known Jesus?  He is not the same.  He has met with the resurrected Christ, been forgiven, restored and filled with the Holy Spirit.

A.  I am trying to imagine myself as one the religious Jewish leaders that day. I am totally blinded by prejudice, by the opinion of my peers and by my traditions. Peter “filled with the Holy Spirit” stands to his feet, speaking with powerful authority like the ancient prophets and boldly accuses us all of murdering Jesus Christ, our long awaited Messiah and quotes well known Holy Scripture to back his claim.  I am trembling with rage! Or is it with Holy Spirit conviction?  I want to shut this man’s mouth right now.  I am so blind that I refuse to consider the evidence of a man for over 40 years a twisted, crippled beggar, now standing there with Peter and John as testimony to the power of the resurrected Christ.

P.  Dear Lord, many centuries have passed since then and still many of the Jewish people cling to their prejudice, the opinion of their peers and their traditions.  And now I minister among a people that are filled with other prejudices, traditions and opinions of their peers.  May I speak with the same Holy Spirit power and authority that made grown men tremble with conviction and may You, once again, back Your Holy Word by Your miracle working power!  Amen.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment