Friday, October 7, 2016

Safe in the arms of Jesus

Friday 10-7-2016  Martinez, Argentina
Today we read: Ezra 7 - 8    Luke 20

S.  Ezra 7:8-10 Ezra arrived in Jerusalem in August of that year.  He had left Babylon on April 8 and came to Jerusalem on August 4, for the gracious hand of his God was on him. This was because Ezra had determined to study and obey the law of the LORD and to teach those laws and regulations to the people of Israel. NLT
Vs 22-23 I was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers and horsemen to accompany us and protect us from enemies along the way. After all, we had told the king, "Our God protects all those who worship him, but his fierce anger rages against those who abandon him." So we fasted and earnestly prayed that our God would take care of us, and he heard our prayer. NLT

O. Here they go, about 1,400 men, plus many animals and carts, to carry 24 tons of silver, plus 7,500 pounds of silver utensils, 7,500 pounds of gold, 2,720 golden bowls worth many fortunes plus much more.  They will travel through territory with potential enemy armies and bandits for the next 4 months, camping at night as they carry these tempting treasures to Jerusalem.  They will go unarmed, no soldiers, just a prayer for safety… since Ezra was embarrassed to ask the king for soldiers after he had told him that the God of heaven would protect them.  Armies have killed for less. But they arrive safely.

A.  Most of our missionaries here in Argentina have been accosted by armed men at least once, including Frances and I and on another occasion our teenage son, Tim. As foreigners we are marked as targets by bandits. Earlier this year a robber attempted to break into my car while I was ministering in a church in Patagonia. He destroyed the driver’s side lock, but failed to get in… and all my items inside were safe. Many times I have begun to get sleepy as I drive long distances and I have parked in some lonely spot and laid across the seats to sleep for 30 minutes. Never have I felt fear. I serve the same God as Brother Ezra.

P.  Lord, You are watching over me. I need not fear. Besides You taught me not to fear those that can destroy our bodies, but to fear You, who controls our eternal state.  Some have a sign on their car “This vehicle is under surveillance via satellite.” I assume this means if it is stolen, it can be traced. Well, You have Your eye on me. You don’t promise me a bed of roses, but I can feel confident, protected in Your arms.  Amen.

Ralph
Safe in the Arms of Jesus
Frances Crosby 1868

1.    Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe on His gentle breast;
There by His love o’ershaded,
Sweetly my soul shall rest.
Hark! ’tis the voice of angels
Borne in a song to me,
Over the fields of glory,
Over the jasper sea.
o   Refrain:
Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe on His gentle breast;
There by His love o’ershaded,
Sweetly my soul shall rest.
2.    Safe in the arms of Jesus,
Safe from corroding care,
Safe from the world’s temptations;
Sin cannot harm me there.
Free from the blight of sorrow,
Free from my doubts and fears;
Only a few more trials,
Only a few more tears!
3.     Jesus, my heart’s dear Refuge,
Jesus has died for me;
Firm on the Rock of Ages
Ever my trust shall be.
Here let me wait with patience,
Wait till the night is o’er;
Wait till I see the morning
Break on the golden shore.


No comments:

Post a Comment