Friday, May 15, 2015

A friend of the King

Friday 5-15-15  (Lago Puelo, Argentina)
Scripture reading:     1 Chron 25-27    1 Thess 4


S.  1 Chron 27:32-33  Jonathan, David's uncle, was a wise counselor to the king, a man of great insight, and a scribe. Jehiel the Hacmonite was responsible to teach the king's sons.   Ahithophel was the royal adviser. Hushai the Arkite was the king's friend.  NLT


O.  1 Chronicles has just listed the names and duties of David’s hundreds of musicians, then the gatekeepers, the keepers of the treasury, the military commanders and divisions, the leaders of the tribes, right down to the officials in charge of his sheep and camels… then, after naming his top advisors, comes this wonderful statement “Hushai the Arkite was the king's friend.”  Hushai is mentioned 9 times in 2 Samuel and once here in the Chronicles.  Several times he is referred to as David’s friend.  Hushai has no rank, no official title… except one:  He was the friend of the king.


A.  I wanted to be one of the king’s musicians until I read this.  Then I decided I would rather be the king’s friend.


P.  Dear Lord Jesus, my King, my Master.  I don’t want to be remembered as a musician, a ventriloquist or even a preacher.  I would rather be written up some day as a friend of the King of kings… one who stands with You and shows You love even when passing through times of distress and trouble.  Just let me be Your friend.  Amen.


Ralph

Who am I that you are mindful of me
That you hear me, when I call
Is it true that you are thinking of me
How you love me, it's amazing (Who am I Lord)
CHORUS:
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls me friend
Verse
BRIDGE:
God Almighty
Lord of Glory
You have called me friend



No comments:

Post a Comment