Saturday, May 2, 2015

Here comes the Ark of God!

Friday 5-1-15 (Los Altares, Argentina)
Scripture reading:     1 Chron  14-15      Ps 132       Matt 18


S.  1 Chron 15:29  But as the Ark of the LORD's covenant entered the City of David, Michal, the daughter of Saul, looked down from her window. When she saw King David dancing and leaping for joy, she was filled with contempt for him.  NLT


O.  Dancing and leaping for joy was not proper conduct for a king.  Or at least that is what Princess Michal, Saul’s daughter, David’s wife thought.  She looked down from her palace window at the scene of celebration and despised David in her heart.


The first thing I notice is that Michal was not a part of the celebration.  Many hundreds of people were a part of it and certainly she was invited to participate with the others… but instead she preferred to watch from a window enclosed in her luxurious palace.  She was not going to lower herself to become a fool, joining with these fanatical “Pentecostals” out there.  Well, of course, she would not use the word “Pentecostal” which had not been coined yet, but the idea was similar.  “There goes my husband, the king, dancing around in a linen ephod and leaping like a playful lamb… making a total fool of himself in front of all the young girls.”  And as soon as David comes popping in the door, with a dancing, joyful heart she lands on him with hateful words intended to shut down his foolishness.


A.  I think I have been there.  There has been a marvelous move of God in the church.  I stand on the street corner waiting for my bus, singing in my soul with great joy.  It is now past midnight as I get off the bus and practically dance on tip-toes the last 5 blocks toward my house.  I pop in with a smile from ear to ear on my face.  And some family member who has stayed home from church and missed the celebration, takes one look at me and says, “Wipe that smirk off your face and get yourself to bed!”  I want to share with them my joy.  I want to tell them about the sermon and the powerful altar service.  But alas, they would never receive my words… since they stayed at home looking out the “palace window” (or maybe watching TV?) like Princess Michal.


P.  Oh Lord, no one can ever understand the joy You bring us while observing us from the other side of the window.  It is true, we Pentecostals can get noisy… which, I guess, is proper for ball games, but not for many civilized religious people.  A few days ago I sang with the Las Grutas youth, alongside a darling little 3 year old girl who was waving a flag along with other kids her age and up.  Youth, 65 years old and down… danced and waved flags in the air as they sang songs of great joy to the Lord. 


Dear Lord, if I had been looking at this from my palace window I might have thought, “These people are having far too much fun to be religious.”  But I was not looking out a window.  I was right in the middle of them and my feet were begging to join in the dance.  So Lord Jesus, I pray that You will keep me where Your people of all ages are worshiping You with all their hearts and celebrating Your presence.  Far better than an Ark made of gold, a symbol of Your presence, You, Yourself are with us… Emmanuel.  Hallelujah!  Amen.



Ralph 

No comments:

Post a Comment