Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Silence please, Holy Temple in construction

Wednesday 5-20-15 (Viedma, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  1 Kings 6    2 Chron 3    Ps 97     Rom 1


S.  1 Kings 6:7  The stones used in the construction of the Temple were prefinished at the quarry, so the entire structure was built without the sound of hammer, ax, or any other iron tool at the building site.  NLT


O.  Where was the stone quarry located?  For sure it was not at the new temple site.  How big were these stones?  I assume by their descriptions that each one weighed several tons.  What kind of precision measuring device did they use to cut them so that each one would fit perfectly in its place according to the plan?  What did they use to transport them to the building site and then hoist them up into place? 


A.  I imagine myself as the head engineer to complete this task.  I prepare measuring devises for exactness down to one tenth of a millimeter.  I design stone cutting machines that can cut and polish them as smooth as a table-top.  Any stone that is found with even a slight defect is rejected immediately.  I contract a huge crane with capability to lift many tons to serve at the quarry and another at the temple site.  I build a special road from the quarry to the temple site.  Then I call for a huge truck with at least six axles with sets of duals and a diesel powered tractor to pull it.  And now I am ordered by King Solomon to not allow a sound of a jack-hammer to be heard at the temple site.  “Thanks a lot, buddy!”  How is that for a challenge even today with all our smarts?


P.  Lord, why was no sound of pounding hammers allowed at the temple site?  You know that would challenge even the best craftsmen among us today.  I believe it was probably because Solomon, and perhaps his father, David, had dedicated this site to You before the temple was built.  It was considered holy ground.  I can imagine the king’s musicians quietly and solemnly playing their instruments and singing as each stone was lifted and “hallelujahs” rising from their lips to You, Lord as each one was set in its place.  The whole project was done in Your honor.  Every stone and beam was a gift to You. 


Sadly, one day this golden gleaming temple would be destroyed and its gold stolen by invaders.  So what am I building today?  Will it stand when invaders rush in?  I stand today on holy ground and declare my heart’s desire, with Your help, dear Lord, to leave behind an eternal heritage… living stones in Your forever temple.  Amen.


Ralph  



No comments:

Post a Comment