Thursday, May 28, 2015

Life in a drop of water

Thursday 5-28-15 (Tres Arroyos, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  Prov 7-9    Rom 9


S.  Prov 8:22-26  The LORD formed me from the beginning, before he created anything else.  I was appointed in ages past, at the very first, before the earth began.  I was born before the oceans were created, before the springs bubbled forth their waters.  Before the mountains and the hills were formed, I was born —   before he had made the earth and fields and the first handfuls of soil.  NLT


O.  Wisdom is personified.  She is speaking to us.  She was there in the mind of God before anything was created.  She was involved in the creation of the first handfuls of soil. 


A.  I was studying biology in high school.  Our professor encouraged us to find a pond of stagnant water and bring a sample to class.  I remember placing a drop of this water on a clean slide and focusing the powerful microscope on it.  First there was nothing, then as I changed the focus I saw something moving.  I followed it and refocused.  Now there were others.  They were strange living creatures darting about!  There was vast variety, a whole world of life, movement and reproduction… living creatures doing their thing… in single drop of water.  When studied further, we discovered that each of these living creatures was perfectly balanced with all the necessary delicate parts for sustaining and propagating life.  Awesome indeed!


Men, more intelligent than I, claim it was all an accident.  Somehow the right balance of ingredients were stirred together and “poof!”… life happened.  And all of us can examine that protozoa and if we pay big money to get ‘higher learning’ from the finest minds, we can learn to speak to the protozoa and say, “Hello!  You are my great, great grandfather!”


God’s Holy Word says something about “True Wisdom.” She is calling to these brilliant men.  But they are not listening.  They have a common hidden agenda.  They want to eliminate the ancient, superstitious idea of a Creator God.  If they can just get God out of the picture… if they can reason Him away… then they can live as they wish… and coast down the slippery path to… well, you know where.    


P.  Dear Lord, how did we ever get so smart?  Please help me to lend a listening ear to Your Wisdom.  Let me read her words, absorb her teaching and live her axioms.  I may be taken for an ignorant old man… but I will be a happy, ignorant old man… headed for Your glorious eternal home prepared for those who place their trust in Your Wisdom and not theirs.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment