Friday, May 22, 2015

God doesn’t fit in my box

Friday 5-22-15 (Viedma, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  1 Kings 8    2 Chron 5    Ps 99     Rom 3


S.  1 Kings 8:27 "But will God really live on earth? Why, even the highest heavens cannot contain you. How much less this Temple I have built!”
Acts 7:46-50 "David found favor with God and asked for the privilege of building a permanent Temple for the God of Jacob.   But it was Solomon who actually built it. However, the Most High doesn't live in temples made by human hands. As the prophet says, 'Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.  Could you ever build me a temple as good as that?' asks the Lord.  'Could you build a dwelling place for me?  Didn't I make everything in heaven and earth?'” NLT


O.  King David wanted to honor God by building a beautiful temple for Him.  His son, King Solomon actually followed its detailed design and built it.  Perfectly cut stones were set together, cedar walls and ceilings were covered with solid gold.  Literally tons of gold went into this unique building.  Then God honored Solomon by filling the temple with His holy presence on the day of its dedication, but the greatness of God, the Creator could not be enclosed in four walls… even if they were solid gold. 


Later Stephen, in his speech of defense before the Sanhedrin, declared it so elegantly… and was stoned to death for uncovering the spiritual rebellion of God’s people.


A.  David and Solomon should have realized that such a glorious temple, full of priceless gold and precious stones, would tempt every enemy to crash through the gates of the city and carry away its treasures.  And yes, that day came later.  Today we who are believers are declared to be temples of the living God.  The same Holy Spirit that filled Solomon’s magnificent temple on the day of its dedication, now is offered to us who place our faith in Christ.  The God Who cannot be confined to a solid gold box of any size, now offers to live in us.


P.  Lord, I do not leave this city of Viedma to drive the highways of Argentina alone.  Your glorious Holy Spirit goes with me.  I am not worthy of such high honor, but now, because You, Jesus, paid the price for my guilt, I can become a temple of God.  May I live a life before others that displays the beauty of Your holy presence!  Amen.


Ralph 



No comments:

Post a Comment