Saturday, May 23, 2015

Predestined!

Saturday 5-23-15 (Pedro Luro, Argentina)
Scripture reading:  2 Chron 6-7    Ps 135     Rom 4


S.  2 Chron 7:14-16 “…if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land.  I will listen to every prayer made in this place, for I have chosen this Temple and set it apart to be my home forever. My eyes and my heart will always be here.  NLT


2 Chron 7:19-20 "But if you abandon me and disobey the laws and commands I have given you, and if you go and worship other gods, then I will uproot the people of Israel from this land of mine that I have given them.  I will reject this Temple that I have set apart to honor my name.” NLT


O.  God makes an awesome promise to His people.  He has chosen to set this temple apart to be home for his presence forever.  Predestined!  That is powerful!  Oh!  But there is a little word attached to this promise… “if”.  “If” my people… will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways… But “if” you abandon me and disobey… then “I will reject this Temple…” Wow!


A.  What does this mean to me?  It means that God makes choices for our good, choices designed for our eternal happiness.  He promises to never leave us nor forsake us.  Jesus declares in John 15, that we have not chosen Him, but He has chosen us… to go and bring forth fruit that will last forever.  Great!  Paul clarifies in Romans 8:29-30 that “God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son…” NLT  The same verse is translated, “And those he predestined…” in the NIV. 


So many men, more brilliant than I, think that God has chosen a few of us and left out all the rest.  But then we read in 1 Tim 2:3-4  “For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.”  KJV  Then again in 2 Peter 3:9  “The Lord… is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” KJV  And I for one, believe that word “all” means “all.”  God’s love and salvation is extended toward us all.  Hallelujah!  But then there is this little word “if”.  God chose Solomon’s wonderful temple to place His presence “forever.” That was God’s choice… It was His promise… It was predestined to be!  Yet a moment later He attached the “if” clause. 


To me this says, “Hurrah!  God chose me!  So now I am given the privilege to choose Him.  I am extended the glorious option to live in His presence.  However, He refuses to violate my option to refuse Him.  I am chosen, but not forced into His heaven. 


P.  Oh wonderful, Holy Lord of love, mercy and justice… I find my little brain to be a limited instrument to take in Your greatness.  So in my childlike ignorance I have chosen Your choices over mine.  You know what is best for me.  I want what You want.  You have called my name and said, “Come and follow me!”  I have been chosen!  What a powerful truth!  Now again… and again… I reconfirm my choice to follow You forever.  You fill my heart with calm and confidence, for You hold my hand as I step through all the booby-traps of this life… as You lead me to Your glorious paradise.  Amen.



Ralph 

No comments:

Post a Comment