Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Didn’t he hear it the first time?

Tuesday   11-3-15  Home in Modesto

Scripture reading:    Job 25      Mark 13-14

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  Mark 14:71-72  Peter said, "I swear by God, I don't know this man you're talking about." And immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peter's mind: "Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times." And he broke down and cried. NLT


O.  The mock trial takes place during the night.  The mob had come with torches to seize Jesus.  Most of the disciples fled for their lives.  A young man, perhaps Mark, the writer of this account, was grabbed, but left his clothes in the hands of his captors and fled naked.  Peter had pledged to be faithful to Jesus... so he follows at a distance.  It is cold and dark.  Evil dominates the scene.  Even a servant girl takes sides against Jesus and pinpoints Peter as His follower.  Curses explode from Peter’s mouth and he swears by God he doesn’t even know this guy, Jesus.  Then the rooster crows the second time.  Didn’t he hear it the first time?  Wasn’t that his warning?  Now it is too late.  He has failed his Master.  He has broken his promise.  He seeks to flee away from the light of the torches in the patio.  In the blackness of that evil night Peter bursts into tears.  He is overwhelmed by his own weakness. 


A.  Have you ever been there?  I have been there.  The rooster has crowed... twice.  Darkness crashes around me.  I heard the warning.  But I didn’t turn and run away in time.  How bitter to stare one’s pitiful weakness in the face!  The sound of his curses is still ringing in his ears, the bitter taste of his denial is still in his mouth.  Luke tells us that at this very moment Jesus turns away from his mocking accusers and looks at Peter.**  There in the darkness of that evil night their eyes meet.  Was it a look of “I told you so!”?  No, I think it was a look of “I still love you, Peter, enough to die for you.”  Jesus forgave and restored the repentant Peter... and that fact gives me hope... and assurance of His unfailing love, His forgiveness and restoration.


P.  Lord, when I think I am strong is when I am most vulnerable.  When I think I’ve got life under control is when I am in the greatest danger.  Give me ears to hear the first crowing of Your warning rooster... and courage to run away from evil and into Your loving arms.  Amen.


Ralph

**Luke 22:61



No comments:

Post a Comment