Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Who is the Hero of this Story?

Wednesday   11-18-15    Modesto, California

Scripture reading:   Psalm 124    2 Cor 11 – 13

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  2 Cor 11:24-25  Five different times the Jews gave me thirty-nine lashes.  Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. NLT


O.  These two verses are only a sample.  In several paragraphs the Apostle Paul lists some of the dangers, difficulties and persecution he has survived in his life as a missionary.  If only the historian, Dr. Luke, had been with him taking notes on all these occasions, we certainly would have another best-seller!  Five times 39 lashes!  We only have one account... in Philippi.  Three times shipwrecked!  We only have one account written by Luke.  A night and day adrift at sea!  Wow!  All this and much more and Paul still was going at it full-speed-ahead.


A.  Most of our missionary life took place before digital photography.  Film was expensive and took weeks to develop.  Since I was expected to send out at least a quarterly newsletter, complete with photos, I was always at a loss.  I found that I could not hold exciting open air or tent crusades and take pictures at the same time.  I had no “Dr. Luke” traveling with me to document the thrilling events.  In those days taking photos required a certain expertise.  You couldn’t just hand your camera to a novice and say, “Take some pictures” as I do now.  So today I find myself trying to put together a book describing some “God stories”... recording some events that hopefully will reveal Him to be the Hero of my story.  


P.  Lord, I get so disgusted with myself!  I try to write some of the stories of Your wonderful rescues and accomplishments.  And then I read them over and I see that I have made myself look good... and You end up as just my Helper.  Maybe that is why the Apostle Paul didn’t leave us all the details of his story.  He did not want to be worshipped as a hero, but rather to give You all the glory.  Please help me leave behind me a book that will truly honor You.  A book that will encourage youth to surrender it all to You... and with total abandon, serve You until their legs cannot take another step and their lungs cannot take another breath.  Amen.


Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment