Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The translators inserted a word that is NOT in the original text

Wednesday   11-11-15   San Salvador, El Salvador

Scripture reading:    Psalm 122    1 Cor 9 - 11

S=Scripture O=Observation A=Application P=Prayer  SOAP for the soul.


S.  1 Cor 10:23-24  You say, "I am allowed to do anything" — but not everything is helpful. You say, "I am allowed to do anything" — but not everything is beneficial. Don't think only of your own good. Think of other Christians and what is best for them.  NLT
1 Cor 10:24  Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.  NIV
1 Cor 10:24  Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well-being. NKJV


O.  This past year I have been enjoying reading from the New Living Translation of the Bible.  However, whenever I see some concept that the “translators” have inserted I am disappointed.  Here is one case: above.  (I have included two other translations for comparison.)  What do you see that is different in verse 24?  It is the insertion of the word “Christians” in the NLT.  There is no clear indication, in my opinion, that this life principle is not designed to benefit both Christians and non Christians who will be influenced by your attitudes or actions.


A.  As a follower of Jesus Christ I am obligated to live a life style that will project His image to both my fellow believers and my non-believing acquaintances.  My conscience may allow me to drink liquor, smoke a pipe, go to R rated movies, tell off-color jokes and even break my marriage vows, but none of us can live without affecting the lives of those that surround us.  Some weak Christian, or someone who may be on the verge of accepting Christ, or even some hardened sinner... is watching.  And without a word, you have just made a strong statement that may confirm the damnation of a soul.


P.  Lord, the Apostle Paul knew he was being watched closely, so he chose to deny himself of some things that his conscience might have allowed, so as to not damage someone else’s chances to follow You or to continue following You.  I ask You to allow Your Holy Spirit to alert me whenever such a situation may arise.  You have called me to save others, not to condemn them.  I want to live in such a way that others may follow me with confidence as I follow You.  Amen.



Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment